Ski sun protection

More
13 years 7 months ago #5089 by candela
Ski sun protection was created by candela
How "bad" is it to have a ski in the sun for a few hours every afternoon(QLD).

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new glass V12 Performance and the only place I can store it get a few hours of sun every afternoon.

Does anyone know if that's likely to be a big issue, even if I keep it clean and waxed? Otherwise I'll need to build some kind of shade structure.

Thanks

Mart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5093 by Pete
Replied by Pete on topic Re: Ski sun protection
I suggest keeping it as far away from sun as you can - I had a epic a while back that I am sure the sun started to cause raised bumps over the whole ski.

I now keep my new one in a cave

More
13 years 7 months ago #5095 by yankee
Replied by yankee on topic Re:Ski sun protection
A tarp neatly wrapped/hung over it versus "building" something? That's what I've done for years, and no sun damage to any boats along the way...

More
13 years 7 months ago #5098 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re:Ski sun protection
I'm not sure about the new Epic factory, but the old one used a white Vinyl Ester gelcoat which slowly browns with exposure to UV rays. Other than that white is a good "colour" to stop the Laminate getting too hot and causing delamination . If you are going to have a darker colour then a cover or shade is necessary and a breathable cover will be best so it doesn't "boil" moisture into the thin Gelcoat.

disclaimer . I have made kayaks,skis and canoes for 17yrs now

• aussie
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #5102 by aussie
Replied by aussie on topic Re:Ski sun protection
When i lived on the canal i kept my ski under shade cloth o got from a scaffolder friend as bunnings charged an arm and a leg.It did the job but a roof would have worked better.Make sure you wash it thoroughly though as minerals in the water created a brownish foam which if left on will turn your boat a pretty ordinary colour especially if burnt in by the sun.btw doing the gold again lats?

More
13 years 7 months ago #5103 by candela
Replied by candela on topic Re:Ski sun protection
Thanks for the tips guys.

As of this morning I've draped some towels over the ski and my old man has some left over shade cloth which I'll get on the weekend on drape over the ski as well.

Aussie - I know what you mean about the brown foam on the ski, I'm on a Gold Coast canal and have to wash the ski down after each paddle. My old ski has permanent brown marks on it from not cleaning it enough.

Mart

More
13 years 7 months ago #5105 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:Ski sun protection
There are some recommendations on the Epic website re this.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 7 months ago #5106 by candela
I can't believe I missed that......

• aussie
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #5153 by aussie
Replied by aussie on topic Re:Ski sun protection
be careful with the towels as heat is a bit issue with storing skis,im on the crane near the adventure outlet on tuesday if you want some shade cloth,ask for ian

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #5157 by latman
To Aussie re Cooly Gold. No not this year (or ever maybe), can't run. haven't trained at all, and not keen Ha ha
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by latman.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5158 by latman
Rightarmbad wrote:

There are some recommendations on the Epic website re this.

I had a look on the epic site and saw stuff about storing out of direct sunlight, and building a tent using trees etc etc ,is there somewhere specific to look ?

saw this in warranty info also !! This warranty policy does not apply to Epic Australia; any and all boats & paddles purchased in Australia are not covered by warranty.
ouch.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5159 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:Ski sun protection
Tyvek house wrap , some brands are silver one side others white. put the white or silver side out. the material "breathes" and hence won't "steam" your ski. Find one of your carpenter buddies to nab you a piece. It is spendy at the building supply and you usually have to buy an entire roll which is way too much for 1 ski. couple bungees each end on some stands and your done !

More
13 years 7 months ago #5172 by candela
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I’ve found a better place to store it at home with significantly less sun until I have time to erect some sort of tent with shade cloth.

Aussie – Thanks for the offer of the shade cloth, my old man has about 10m of the stuff left over from his latest project that he also said I could have.

Thanks again

Mart

Latest Forum Topics