How young did you start?

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4262 by Zarb
Seeing lots of middle aged people at social paddles, and the majority of results in international competitions in the 30-39 age group, got me thinking how young did you get into the sport?

Also, did you come across from a similar sport such as flat water or canoeing?

What age would have the top competitors started serious training?

Interested to see, as most professional sports these days seems to still have that common theme among athletes where they have been groomed for competition since their young teens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4263 by [email protected]
These are great questions.
I'll set up a survey...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4267 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re:How young did you start?
30-31

More
14 years 1 week ago #4269 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re:How young did you start?
I came from flatwater kayaking, started paddling at 12YO i think, can remember Aust sprint nationals at 13YO ,back then you could race surfski at 15 (cadet), which has since come back in Australia Ian

More
14 years 1 week ago #4274 by Boof Head
39yo.
live near a river so decided to do a bit of paddling for fitness. Tried a spec ski and didn't like it. Tried Tk1's and didn't like it. Tried a sea kayak, loved it and built a couple of wooden kayaks.
2 years ago (43yo,)saw some funny, fast looking sit on tops and followed up on it. After first demo of a Red7 surf70, i couldn't get the smile of my face or the $$ out of my pocket quick enough.
Just finished a lovely 20km Sunday arvo paddle and the first two beers didn't even touch the sides as i cranked up the barbie. Life doesn't get any better

More
14 years 5 days ago #4360 by michielv
Overhere (Holland) surfski's are still a rare thing. Everyone around here started paddling as a kayaker. I was 13 years old, starting out with junior races and eventually canoepolo (almost 20 years). Right now I paddle racing k1's in marathons and am looking at our club single ski to try it one day (which is quite hard as it is pretty popular so it is in use most of the time ;) ).

More
14 years 4 days ago #4370 by jolyon
Replied by jolyon on topic Re:How young did you start?
well i started paddleing when i was 13 in the carribean and now i am 14 and still lovin paddleing

Latest Forum Topics