Any advice on Knysna Racing Kayaks Stingray

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4237 by knysna novice
Hi,

I'm a complete beginner paddler, only been out on a stable canoe in the past few weeks and a little paddle ski before that but recently seen a Stingray surfski up for sale, know nothing about this boat but would like to know if anyone could recommend if its a good first buy or maybe not the best idea for a beginner. Not actually sure if its the right size for me yet though. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Brad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4244 by wmongie
My first boat was a Stingray and after 18 months paddling and 3 boats later, I can honestly say that a Stingray isn't the best starter boat.

For various reasons, many people tend to go for the cheaper option when buying their first boat. The reality is that with surfskis, you tend to get what you pay for. The Stingray is an old design and therefore doesn't incorporate many of the design bits and bobs which make modern surfskis so much fun to paddle. In my experience the stingray is unstable (it has no secondary stability), heavy, has a big rocker (which makes turning a dream but doesn't help with directional stability) and it's also quite short which affects the overall speed of the boat. It doesn't have a single footwell and doesn't have an adjustable footplate so finding one that's a perfect fit will be hard.

Buying your first boat can be tricky but the best advice I can give you is to spend time trying out various makes and models before you commit. Spend as much time as you need and make sure you're making a good buy otherwise you'll be back in the classifieds section within a couple of months.

Good luck!

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4245 by gig
Brad

I was in the same boat as you. New to the sport and purchased a ski that was totally inappropriate. Ended up having to sell. Have now done my research. I hope. I live in Cornwall UK so trying out various Surf Ski's is not an option. I contacted various builders and have settled on a Custom Kayaks Horizon. Not cheap but should be just what I need. Good Luck

Greg

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4257 by knysna novice
Thanks guys,

Yeah, fast realising that there's a very good reason there is such a vast choice in boats. Thanks for the info on stability, Wayne, to be honest thats what worries me the most- would prefer to be in the boat more often than out. As for speed...not too much of a concern for me at the moment. Was just going to be irrational and jump at the opportunity because it seemed like a good price and not a bad condition either but perhaps as you say its best to keep looking around and trying out where possible for a bit longer. Greg, just checked out the specs on the Horizon, looks like a great boat to start off with, sure you going to have lots of fun with it. But even if I was in the market for a new boat would sort of have to stick to the local manufacturer(!)

Cheers
Brad

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4261 by rubberDuck
Brad

I was a complete novice only 3 months ago. From advice I decided to go for the Think Evo built by Knysna Racing here in SA, which is really an intermediate ski, but has good stability.

Although I found the first few hours tough, I am good now and can stay in the ski for 1 km paddles at least on fairly flat water, although chop don't bother this ski at all. I only get bothered by waves from the side on at the moment. I have now done about 13 hours on the water, and have had no previous paddling experience.

I really appreciate the speed of this ski compared to the XT or the Horizon. Go and try one out and judge for yourself.

Greetings

Henry

Latest Forum Topics