Think legend - long term impressions

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #4163 by Slime
Are there any Legend paddlers among the forum users?
I am interested in peoples experiences with this ski across a variety of conditions, especially those who have owned one for a while.
How about speed and characteristics compared with the numerically dominant Fenn Elite and V10 ski's?
Are any in SA and paddled in the big swells?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #4164 by Sandy
:dry: Been paddling a legend for about a year here in Socal. Love the comfortable bucket. Love the stability and surfability of this ski in conditions. Have been in6-8ft ground swell with 25 kts. plus wind with bump on top so not the huge conditions but plenty of action. Ski catches runs well and I like the hard chines bite on a bump. Flat water spped is fine ,prahps a bit slower than V-10 , Mako 6. BUT and this is big , the warrenty/mfg. support SUCKS. Without boring you with excess details , think did not even come close to standing behind a mfg. issue with the rudder assembly. I havee some pictures to demonstate the problem .Anyway love the way the boat performs , be sure you assess the blob of epoxy that is all that anchors the bottem of the rudder post tube to the hull (unfortunately you would have to cut a hole through the bridle box to do this and thats where you would go to fix it anyway. I personally wouldn't paddle a think boat in conditions without beefing this up. BTW this is the second think boat I have had with this problem. Think warrenty covered the first one and claimed I "broke" the second one , go figure.

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #4165 by Sandy
:ohmy: Here are the pics , note the shine indicating the lack of bonding of the blob to the hull surface
Attachments:

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #4170 by svengali
HI, I'm a previous Fenn owner but I've had a carbon Legend for about 5 months now. The super-light carbon construction is surprisingly robust. I really like the downwind performance and comfort factor, with the best paddling position and cockpit comfort of all the makes, IMHO.The Legend's stability and surfing ability allow you to really come up and over the blade to power-up on to runs.

Boat build quality generally on par with some exceptions. My boat is in getting something fixed and we'll see how that goes.

In ocean/rough water markets, Think distributors should consider specifying the elliptical, surf-style rudder because the smaller shark fin doesnt bite well enough and the boat is subject to more broaching both up and downwind. Overall very happy with my choice but as i said we'll see how well my problem is fixed...

More
14 years 4 weeks ago - 14 years 4 weeks ago #4173 by superted
Hi Sven,I'd hazard to guess nearly every ski on the market performs better in bigger conditions with an elliptical rudder. I found similar results to you in bigger days on my Legend. The rudders can be bought aftermarket from Think for about $50, (which is an absolute bargain). I'd still keep the sharkfin for flatwater or really weedy days.
Last edit: 14 years 4 weeks ago by superted.

Latest Forum Topics