Which Ski for XXL Beginner??

More
14 years 1 month ago #4060 by apj6374
G'Day

I am a big fella (6'4" // 120kg) and have quite a long leg length. I have recently tried a FENN XT which was OK but found it a bit short for my legs though the stability was OK. Also tried an EPIC V10S which was alot more comfortable but considerably less stable and kept falling off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Adrian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4065 by LaPerouser
Hi Adrian

The early V10S had a wide bucket, and I think they still make two widths?? The wide bucket is certainly good for a big paddler.

Comfort is a v important long term consideration, and the longer the outing and the more you paddle, the more important it becomes.

Stability is something that most paddlers have trouble with initially, but is learnt through persistence (and falling out!).
Hopefully you're starting on flat water, in which case 2-3 sessions a week should get you there.

Hope this helps.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4066 by jbrings
Hi Adrian. Check the Stellar SE review on surfskiracing.com. Big guys love it.
surfskiracing.com/Reviews/Stellar_Elite_First_Look.html

More
14 years 1 month ago #4067 by Boof Head
I'm 6'3" and 100kgs and i find my Red7Surf70 very stable, with heaps of leg length and a wide bucket. Its got excellent tracking which, for the pessimists, also translates as crap turning circle but is only an issue if you race with lots of turns involved or spend lots oftime playing in the surf.
I'm assuming form your post that you are an Aussie. If you live near Brisbane you are welcome to try mine.
Cheers

• Ben Wulfsohn
  • Visitor
14 years 1 month ago #4068 by Ben Wulfsohn
Replied by Ben Wulfsohn on topic Re:Which Ski for XXL Beginner??
For I number of reasons I would say consider the Custom Kayaks Horizon www.customkayaks.co.za

1) It has plenty of leg length adjustment
2) It has a wide seat
3) It is wide (beam width) therefore stable
4) The construction method and design makes it stronger than most skis for going in and out of surf. Along the sides and below the decks there is glass reinforced "rope" to provide extra longitudinal strength especially in the vulnerable mid section/cockpit of the ski
5) The ski is very stable and easy to remount - low cockpit rails
6) It is a modern design with lots of volume aft - therefore catches runs well.
7) Overall the finish and engineering is neat, clean and robust e.g. all the through deck fittings have substantial backing plates to prevent one pulling out, for instance, a grab handle.

Regards

Ben

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
14 years 1 month ago #4069 by StuartXpat
Replied by StuartXpat on topic Re:Which Ski for XXL Beginner??
Adrian, I can second Ben's reply. I have just received a Horizon at my surfski schoiol and it is by far the most stable and acomodating ski we have used. It is also quick enough to be fun and picks up a run well. I have a few students your size and they all get on well in it - infact there is always a bit of jostling to see who gets to use the Horizon.

Stuart

More
14 years 1 month ago #4097 by Slime
You should check out the Think Evo too. More stable than the V10S from what I hear and plenty of room for long legs. I have paddled this and the legend (I bought the Legend) and find them very comfortable. At 6'2" and all legs, I have plenty of room.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4110 by apj6374
Thanks Boof...I live in Sydney but if I was in Brissie I would take you up on the offer. I did hear they made a Red7Surf70 over size?? I will see if I can track one down and give it a go. Thanks again for the advice. Cheers AJ

More
14 years 1 month ago #4111 by apj6374
Also thanks to everyone else that replied. Info is really helpful. Ben and Stewart I will be giving the HORIZON a go for sure.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4116 by jtresfon
At 2.0m (6ft7) tall and 115kg I guess I'm an XXL paddler. I've been using a custom leg length XT (adjustable version at longest setting is too short) for 5 years and have loved this ski, but have found it a little bit low volume for my weight. I'm now moving to a V10S (with the adjustable version seeming to be ok at its longest setting) as it offers a bit more volume. All other skis are too short or too narrow. Tried the faster skis (V10, Elite, Synergy, Mako6, Red7) and they are all too narrow for my hips as are the Think Evo and all the Honcho boats (not tried the Guru but want a quicker boat). For the really big guys options are very limited...

More
14 years 1 month ago #4122 by LaPerouser
I have a wide bucket V10S if you'd like to have a test paddle. I'm near near La Perouse.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4123 by SlowPoke
jtrefson if you have the opportunity give the Stellar SE a try. I have one and so does one of my mates. We are both big guys, similar weight but not as tall and the stellar fits us comfortably.
It's worth having a look at if only out of interest, but it does seem to be a ski designed for bigger guy's.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4124 by Guy.S
Hi
I think you will find the Custom Kayaks Horizon very comfortable, but you may also want to try its 'big brother' the Synergy - which is defintely designed to accomodate big guys (I am 2m tall and find it very comfortable). It is an 'easy paddle' - very stable and forgiving. I have also paddled a Fenn XT, and I find the Synergy to be equally stable.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4134 by gig
Replied by gig on topic Re:Which Ski for XXL Beginner??
Hi

Have had problems finding a surf ski that I would fit into. I am 6ft 120kg and a bone to bone hip width of 15". I have done a lot of research and have ordered a Horizon. Hope to receive in the next month or two. I will let you know how I get on. I spent a lot of time asking for the seat width of various surf skis something that is missing on most if not all manufactures web sites. This should be a critical measurement to determine the correct ski to buy. Especially if you live in an area of the world were trying a few out is not an option.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4135 by Hiro
Make a mold of your butt and sent it to the ski manufacturer. :laugh:

More
14 years 1 month ago #4136 by Big Ken
I am 6'4"(194cm), weigh a dainty 125kgs and have big a#$e which "tapers" to a 42" waist. I got into paddling 6 months ago and started with a plastic ski, namely a Cobra Eliminator sit-on (a K1 wannabe). The Eliminator is a great kayak but it totally unsuitable for a large chap like me. I think that the max weight that it can handle is 110-115kg. With me in it, the cockpit is almost always awash and, in choppy seas, the waves break inside the cockpit which affects stability. So, I am looking to upgrade.

I reckon that my upgrade list consists of an Epic V10 Sport, Think Evo and the Fenn XT. I live in the Perth, WA, area so getting my hands on an Epic or Think is easy. While there are a lot of Fenns in the areas, the Australian national distributor could not provide me with a local contact so I do not think that I will get the opportunity to try out a Fenn unless it is a used private one. My mate has a Think Evo and loves it. I have sat in it and it was snug but comfortable. Yesterday, I got the opportunity to try out a fibreglass V10 Sport for the first time in Mandurah. I was very impressed. It fit me perfectly, I had lots of freeboard, it is very fast, (compared to my Cobra!), and it was not as tippy as I thought it would be. I reckon that a month in flat water would be enough to get used to the motion. So, for what it is worth, the V10 Sport is for me.

I have been advised to look at the fibreglass/kevlar model as my mates reckon that its flexibility and durability, (when compared to the straight fibreglass model), will be more suited to a guy my size. Any opinions??

More
14 years 1 month ago #4137 by Dicko
Look at the stellar as well if you live in Perth, Big Ken.
My mate Big Al paddles one.(are you related). They are similar
stability but slightly faster and cheaper. Your choices are pretty limited in the west. The epic and the stellar are both
good boats. It depends a lot on what your mates are paddling.
If they are all paddling intermediate boats or are more social
type paddlers the epic will be good. If they paddle faster craft and are a bit competitive you'll find yourself wanting to upgrade in 9 months cos you'll be going hard to keep up. If that's the case go for the stellar and with the money you save
buy a good paddle.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4139 by Big Ken
Thanks, Dicko. Who stocks Stellars in the Perth area?

More
14 years 1 month ago #4140 by Dicko
Perth paddlesports have them or Peter Latham (check the stellar website). I've never paddled one, but the big fella's paddling improved significantly from the moment he got his. He can also remount his easily. Apart from that I"ve never met a bloke who has had more boats (6 in the last 3years, not counting replacements) and broken the best of them. So far the stellar is holding up nicely and less than 2k for a new boat is bloody cheap.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4453 by Nicho03
Bit late on this post but having had a Custom Kayaks Synergy I would suggest steering clear of these. I am 100kg and took my Synergy Hybrid out for a gentle surf. 1.5 metre wave there abouts and the ski didn't survive. In deep water a wave landed on the ski (wrong place at the wrong time) and popped the seams on both sides of my ski. From the bow to the cockpit on the left and cock pit to stern on the right. without these seams to support the ski it broke in two behind the cockpit. The single rib strengthening the ski from nose to tail disintegrated and ended up all over the ocean. No joy from the manufacturer who seemed to think a year and a half was pretty good for one of his skis...not his actual words but the gist of his reply to my enquiry.

Latest Forum Topics