Which wing padle?

More
14 years 8 months ago #3450 by wallace50
Which wing padle? was created by wallace50
My girlfriend and I just moved into a Mako XT double surf ski from our Epic kayaks. I'd like to get wing paddles now, but so many choices. What about Fenn or Jantex? How do the "high twist" paddles feel different in the water from others. I'm 6"1" 165, she's 5"7" 125. Maybe a mid for me and a small for her? Should an adjustable with a max of 213 cm. be long enough for me? I just want to try and get the right paddles the first time. I'm not saying money's no object, but if I'll spend $300, I'd probably spend $400 if it was justified. We're both good athletes, but not great paddlers, so the paddles aren't going to be the difference between winning and losing a race. Hopefully just a smooth efficient paddle that's not too hard to get used to. Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #3452 by giff06
Replied by giff06 on topic Re:Which wing padle?
Hi Wallace,
My wife and I also paddle a double ski. If $ isn't a big factor I think Epic makes the nicest wing out there. I would definately suggest length lock. I use a mid wing with stiff blue shaft@210-220 length. If I get another one I would go burgendy shaft. My wife uses a Max Paddle wing but we are upgrading her to the Epic sm wing ,length lock, burgundy shaft. I have also used a Brasca IV and VI. To Spend less money I also like the Fenn3. Epics website is very helpful with the paddle wizard feature to make a selection. These are the only wings I have used personally and there are many more knowledgable paddlers on this board than me.
Good luck,
Ed Gifford
Toms River, NJ

• Franklin
  • Visitor
14 years 8 months ago #3456 by Franklin
Replied by Franklin on topic Re:Which wing padle?
LOVE my ONNO Mid Wing. I also own the Epic Mid and Sprint (great paddles too). The ONNO has just a slightly less "bite" but paddles just like my Epic. They are less expensive. The ONNO's are custom built just for you. Patrick can make your paddle anyway you want it; ultra light to a brick (mine). My paddle adjusts 15 cm and has the lever lock adjustment device (don't know what to call it?).
Anyway, good luck on getting just the right paddles!
If you are interested in Patrick's ONNO's, google ONNO paddles and you'll find it. Patrick is a great guy and after you talk with him (yes, he also builds them, you will see that he really cares).
Best regards
Franklin

Latest Forum Topics