Lower back pain and the psoas muscle group

• Txski
  • Visitor
15 years 5 months ago #2598 by Txski
I've been dealing with borderline sever lower back pain for a few years now. Tried a few things such as chiropractic adjustments, epidural injections, and even hanging upside down. However just recently I was prescribed a stretch routine by my physical therapist/chiropractor which done 3x a day has reduced my pain level dramatically...about 85% pain free. Here are a few articles and stretch routines relating to the psoas hip muscles.

stronglifts.com/the-psoas-is-it-killing-your-back/
www.floota.com/PsoasStretch1.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #2601 by Sandy
Good stuff , I suggest that another possibilty is acupuncture treatment. I have had good results with several patients treating LBP (low back pain) working on psoas . A good acupuncturist can needle this area safely and effictively. Also someone trained in shiatsu would (or should !) also have some good technigues for addressing this often overlooked and often major factor in LBP. This pattern is a culprit for paddlers given our seating position and involvement of this mucle group in a proper stroke. leg drive is connected through...... you guessed it! Remember psoas is connected to lumbar spine and is at the heart of "strengthen the core", ie it is the core ! Anyone in Socal looking for acup. help with LBP ? Sandy Giltinan L.Ac.;) ;)

• Txski
  • Visitor
15 years 5 months ago #2624 by Txski
Sandy,
I've had 2 sessions of acupuncture since you have replied on the topic. Been wanting to try it for a while so am giving it a whirl. Amazingly after each session I had zero back pain (which has already diminished greatly in part to psoas stretching) but the next day the subtle sharp and dull pains have been returning. Is this normal and how many sessions are considered necessary? Also if you could suggest some of your own techniques that would be great.
Adam

More
15 years 5 months ago #2627 by Sandy
Good action Adam ! Give it at least 6 treatments within 2-3 weeks and go from there. Most people get some relief , think they are done and then I see them after the relapse. The "one shot wonder" is more often the exception. As to specific techniques sounds like what you practioner is doing is working.... I wouldn't presume to advise you beyond general comment without seeing/exam/consult .There are a myriad of technigues used and working as a team with your provider is the way to go finding whats best for you.Remember that a condition you have had chronically is likely not going to disappear with a couple acupuncture treatments. However given some degree of positive result you may be well on the way to recovery.Stay with it ! After 6-7 treatments you will have a better idea of treatment efficasy for your case. Acupuncture may well be the key to your recovery, light "approriate" stretching, crosstraining , pilates , yoga.... other things , may well be part of the program adjunctively. It's your body , listen to it.:) Sandy

More
15 years 5 months ago #2628 by topher1966
:P awesome my back kills me after every paddle. have done just some of these stretches after todays Narrabeen challenge (which was crap) and i feel good tx!

More
15 years 5 months ago #2632 by topher1966
:laugh: have paddled another 10km tonight on top of about 7 last night....that makes 3 days straight which i have never been able to do......the stretches are fantastic tx.

• Txski
  • Visitor
15 years 5 months ago #2633 by Txski
That's awesome topher1966. Keep it up and have fun out there.
yeehaw!!!! ;)

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
15 years 5 months ago #2634 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re:Lower back pain and the psoas muscle group
I'm going to give these psoas stretches a try. I am pretty creaky after Sunday's race which consisted of a course which went into the teeth of a gale for 2km, an all too brief downwind run and then side on to a gale for 1km - and repeat 3 times.

Latest Forum Topics