THINK Legend vs Epic V10L

More
15 years 6 months ago #2510 by Christian_Hoeier
I'm looking for some advice and experience before buying a Surfski, but first a little about my background

I come from a ?flat water background? with 15 years of kayak experience educated both as instructor and as a coach and are used to paddle K1 (Struer boats Razor) and my Sisson Defender on the ocean between Denmark and Sweden.

My interest in Surfski now comes from a safety point of view and to obtaining a greater mobility and new experience. With my K1 and Sisson Defender I stay close to the coast. Even though they both can handle waves well, it can be close to impossible to re-enter a water filled kayak.

I have tried the THINK Legend and are very impressed with the quality of the kayak. I was very curious about the stability of the kayak with those hard ?chine?. From my K1 experience I like a small primary stability, but a trusty second stability.

The Legend was very stable. Then leaning the kayak it felt like the chine was grapping the water and gave good supported. Unfortunately I only tried it on a calm day, so I could not test the surfing skills.

The Legend handled waves from ships in the harbour very well and I could cruise around without have to worry about the stability. Basally the THINK Legend meets my criteria about being stable/safe enough to cruise everywhere and still being fun and fast to ride.

I?m looking forward to try V10L, but it might not be easy here in Stavanger where I live now so I?m hoping that some of you can give some feedback on how the V10L compares to THINK Legend?

I?m thinking on quality, stability, surfing and speed?

I have read the 2 review on both surfski?s, but I?m looking for a more direct comparison.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2511 by CPYuHK
Replied by CPYuHK on topic Re:THINK Legend vs Epic V10L
i own v10l for almost a year and it works well for me.
i live in Hong Kong located in South China and most of the time paddling in wind under 30km/hr and wave under 1m.
for your reference, i'm 173cm and 67kgs.

best regards.

CP

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #2519 by Christian_Hoeier
I did get to try the Epic V10L and like the performance in the water better than Think Legend. The V10L is however more wet and I will miss the very nice heel plate and the single feet strap's.

I did also try a ICON from Custom Kayaks, but the size I tried was a little to big for me. I did not have my heels firmly placed and with the smaller primary stability, the kayak moved a little from side to side when paddling.

The primary stability of the V10L is better than the ICON. The V10L does not require the same concentration to stay on the primary stability spot and is therefore more relaxed to paddle.

The second stability is very good for both kayaks, but ICON leads here.

In the end I ordered a Epic V10L performance B)
(I'm 184 cm and 78 kg)
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by Christian_Hoeier.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2520 by CPYuHK
Replied by CPYuHK on topic Re:THINK Legend vs Epic V10L
welcome to join V10L family

More
15 years 6 months ago #2533 by MOsurfskier
I just came back from 45 mile race down the Mississippi River in Nantchez,MS. All the wining surfkis were Fenn Mako 6 or Epic V10 models. We were 130 racers taking part in this event, with racers from South Africa which completed the course in less then 4 hours. If you are looking for a stable boat, go with the Epic V10 Sport or the Fenn Mako XT, both are 19" wide. They are great trainers but not fast for serious racing. The Epic V10L is made for smaller paddlers, it has less volume, and the Fibreglass material is less expensive then the Carbon used for the Fenn XT model. If I had my choice in a new surfski I would choose the Epic V10L over any other boat. Unfortunately I have never tried the Think Legend and have never seen it in any of our races.
Good luck, make sure to try out the boats before you buy. Choose a windy or turbulent water condition to test each craft.
Cheers

More
15 years 6 months ago #2545 by Christian_Hoeier
I have received my Epic V10L and been out in some windy conditions. The waves was not more than a ? meter, but there were a lot of choppy waves from reflection and ships. V10L handles the wind and waves very nicely and I was very impress with the easy of steering the kayak and maintaining the track.
I can understand why many people like the V10 models :)

Latest Forum Topics