Epic V10 gen4 v Carbonology Zest X

More
9 months 1 week ago #40574 by Dicko
It's new boat time. Any thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 4 days ago #40582 by zachhandler
Dicko - I don’t have a lot to offer here as I have no experience with the zest and have never been in a gen4 v10…

But during gorge week 3 of my long time paddling partners downwindedin the new v10 and came away super impressed. The debate was whether or not it was better than the Vega Flex downwind, which they all regard as the best downwind boat ever.

To summarize their opinions: the v10 is more nimble than the flex. It will turn any direction anytime anywhere you want. It is drier and more stable than the flex. It is less prone to getting broached. Seat position is higher and a little wider. What the flex does better is that is prescriptive. If you have been in a vega or vega flex you will know what I mean. It wants to turn in the correct direction at the correct time to link waves. Build on the flex is better - prepreg and seamless. it is a less expensive boat that is also lighter and stiffer. So of the 3 paddlers one wants to change to the v10, one does not, and one is on the fence.

So that is second hand news and not comparing the two boats in question, but it’s all I have.

Personally I have a lot of experience with the vega and some with the vega flex. Vega is the best downwind boat I have ever been in by a significant margin. So if these three vega flex owners are calling the new v10 on par but different than the vega flex downwind, it must be really really good.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
9 months 3 days ago #40586 by Glider
Hi Zachandler,

Great feedback on the V10 gen4 against the Vega Flex.
I had heard that the bucket on the V10 was smaller than the Gen3 but that appears not to be the case. It was far too wide on the gen3.
The Epics are a few kgs heavier than the Flex I believe although if I understood your comment you mention that the Flex is less expensive.
I paddled the Flex and found it great but the seat was "hard", maybe a little flat.
I think the Zest X is the old Vault X which also has a wide bucket for us smaller paddlers. The seat position is also high when compared to the V10.
Glider

More
9 months 3 days ago #40587 by zachhandler
Yes glider - in the united states a v10 in carbon is 23 lbs and $5300. A vega flex in prepreg carbon is 20-21 lbs and $4300. Or the vega flex Pro model (less carbon and no paint) is 18 pounds and $4900.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
9 months 2 days ago #40593 by Atlas
The Zest X is the updated Zest. The Zest X LV (low volume) is the updated Vault.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
8 months 4 weeks ago #40597 by [email protected]
I spent a couple of months in the Zest X and enjoyed it... It felt like a completely different boat to the older Zest and I quizzed Hein van Rooyen about the changes. Turns out that the only change was the shape of the bucket.

I was astonished, but actually it makes sense. The older bucket was wide and flat so you'd slide around and the boat felt a little unstable as a result. The new bucket shape is such that you tend to stay planted in the middle of it - and it has transformed the feel of the boat.

I've been on the V10 4g for 6 weeks and really love it. I wrote a long update on the V10 4g thread on the forum here: surfski.info/forum/2-announcements/20474...tion-4.html?start=20

I think I've got past the initial love-affair that I always have with shiny new things, and am developing a long term relationship with it... :-)

Going downwind in it in 3 hours time, yeeeeeha!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics