Leak in ski, any tips?

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #40366 by Tinus
Leak in ski, any tips? was created by Tinus
My ski has developed a leak somewhere and is taking on quite a lot of water however I can't find a leak anywhere.

Any tips on how to find where the water is coming in?

Any suspect places to look for that are most likely?

The ski was fine before winter so it might have been frost damage somehow but of course I could also have hit something somewhere.

Nelo 560, 600

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #40368 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic Leak in ski, any tips?
I had the same problem with a new Stellar SR a few years ago. When I opened the lid for the pressure release I was able to attach a small hand pump and increased the airpressure inside the hull very carefully. Then I rinsed the ski with a bucket full of soapy water and found some tiny holes where the air was coming out. Hope that helps.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tinus

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #40373 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Leak in ski, any tips?
First, what ski?

Yes putting a bit of air pressure inside and using soapy water and a brush is the best way, as for using ANY mechanical device to do so, not so much! That can end in tears very quickly, just blow in with your mouth carefully.

The other way of finding leaks is to put a bit of water in the ski and see where it comes out.

You also must differentiate what conditions the ski leaked, calm flat would be potentially the rudder post or the ventury or bailer and possibly the footplate worn through the footwell or a crack in the bottom of the seat. In rough conditions everything is possible.

In the Stellar I usually find the rudder post to be the problem as they do not sand the post very well so a slight bump of the rudder usually dislodges the post from the ski, either top of bottom.

In the Nelo, the jacking rubber footplate posts can wear through the footwell.

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #40374 by Tinus
Replied by Tinus on topic Leak in ski, any tips?
It is a Nelo.

Footplate might be right, I hadn't thought of that. The ski took on water in flat conditions. I've been looking on the outside of the ski, didn't even think of looking in the bucket.

Nelo 560, 600

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #40491 by Tinus
Replied by Tinus on topic Leak in ski, any tips?
I finally got around to checking the ski with soapy water and I found the leak.

It is one of the rudder lines that leaks.

I have no idea how I am going to fix this, I assume professional help will be needed.

Nelo 560, 600

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #40493 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Leak in ski, any tips?
If its the gap/sea; around the tube where it passes through the hull a bit of epoxy might fix it. If its a split in the tube so any water entering the tube then leaks into hull then its a pro tube replacement.

Do bubble es come out both front and back. If so that would suggest faulty sleeve. If just one end then it could be the seal around the tube

More
10 months 1 week ago #40504 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Leak in ski, any tips?
Sorry to burst your bubble! (excuse the pun) if air comes out the tubes it will come out from both sides as it is open both sides.

But yes mostly the tubes dislodge from one of the ends, glue not good enough or tube not sanded enough or pulled too tight. That will leak a lot.

Another issue can be the SS cable could have worn through the tubing, at the front where the tube comes out at the incorrect angle or at the back where the tubes come out too close together.

I see very few Nelo skis so I don't know them well enough to make an educated guess. The tubes do come out both ends correctly so that will not be your issue plus they use cord not SS cable.

As for putting epoxy around the tube exit, yes it can be done but I have had limited success. Good quality superglue is thiner and will work better to suck in with capillary action. Be sure to remove the cord before doing anything.

Make sure the bubbles are not coming from the rudder post, they can come loose with a hit of the rudder. I usually remove the rudder and suck the hole on the hull with my finger blocking the post on the other end. If that is good and no air can be sucked then I tape the hull and fill the rudder well with soapy water and then blow into the ski gently to see if the top of the post is airtight.

Latest Forum Topics