Bracing the Footboard

More
1 year 4 months ago #40162 by DrA5
Bracing the Footboard was created by DrA5
A buddy of mine stated that with the carbon boats, footboard pressure is key. He said he was told by his manufacturer to "brace" the footboard" which he has done with closed-cell foam.

Has anyone else done this? Any tips or photos of what you did so I can get an idea of what I can do? I paddle an Epic V8 Pro Elite layup.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #40163 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Bracing the Footboard
It has nothing to do with the construction of the ski, but rather the make.

Some manufacturers have hanging footboards with no contact on the base and others are supported on the base. Epic is such, they have a three point contact footboard which means no need to support the rear of the footboard.

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #40164 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Bracing the Footboard
My tall footplates like extra support. My plates are no longer adjustable, but the blocking is easily removable. I made no changes to the Epic rails, pins or little rubber feet.
I need support up high behind the balls of my feet (above the pivot point on the rails). I also fit a chunk down low, to add strength to the footboard behind my heels. (I've lost a rubber foot and cracked gelcoat).
I like the adjustable Epic system. It's easy to set the length. Once I have it, I lock it in solid. I tie off my strings too, they never need adjustment. And I beef up the strap so it's comfy, tight and easy to use.
I get scraps of divinicell from a boat maker. I fit the parts very carefully. I slide the footplate fore and aft - using the rails, pins and rubber feet as a reference for a factory footboard angle. Then a dab of Sikaflex sealer to hold it all together.
If I ever need to take it apart, I'll cut the divinicell out. I have 1mil. plumbers's tape on the gelcoat to help protect it from the adhesive. It's a very good fit without any high pressure points. This method has been solid for years on several boats. I'm a huge fan of a rock solid footplate.

Standard Epic straps, slightly modified. (I removed the thin Epic cushion and some of their velcro). I fit one big piece of foam that goes tight to the footboard. It wraps nicely around the top of my foot and doesn't sag.

Here's some cracked gelcoat under a footplate rubber foot. I tried to reinforce that area with some high performance SUP rail tape, (rail saver pro). I probably lost a rubber foot and replaced it after the run. Tape kept it dry until I fixed the foot. But when I tried to remove it years later, the gelcoat had been cracked and the tape ripped out a chunk. High pressure point damage. I have a pro fix stuff like that with paint that can withstand acetone.

downwind dilettante
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by LaPerouseBay. Reason: Added pictures.

More
1 year 4 months ago #40165 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Bracing the Footboard
Here's another spot to add a blob of rubbery Sikaflex sealer to protect the gelcoat.

Occasionally my boat will travel tail first. The rudder will slam hard left and right in the wind. The tiller will crack the gelcoat.

Water will seep in, eventually the gelcoat will chip off. So I make a little bumper.

I also drill a small hole in the cover, I carry my boat upside down and seldom remove the cover.

downwind dilettante
Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics