Can a boat be trusted after snapping in half (and being repaired?)

More
1 year 9 months ago #39880 by XLV
There's a good(?) deal on a V8 near me - but the catch is that it snapped in half on the bow. The owner says it has been professionally repaired. It's not pretty, but I'm more concerned about structural integrity. Could you ever trust that boat in the ocean again? It comes with a paddle so it's almost being given away at under $500

I've seen surfskis snapped in half, I just always assumed they went into the dumpster after that. Would any of you consider riding this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #39881 by tve
Photos?

Also depends on intended use. Prob a great boat near shore in the surf zone. Perhaps not in big conditions a couple of miles off-shore paddling alone...

More
1 year 9 months ago #39882 by XLV
I do paddle solo offshore a lot, although not in big conditions. I'd probably just use this for paddling in the harbors but I might be better off just waiting to find an undamaged V8 under $1000 (could take another year of watching craigslist)

You can see the repair in the attached photo
Attachments:

More
1 year 9 months ago #39883 by XLV
I decided to pass on it - if anyone else in the Southern California area is interested, here's the craigslist link: sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/boa/d/oceans...yak/7493175981.html#

More
1 year 9 months ago #39884 by waverider
Dont know if 100% if straight. will likely weigh more and have little resale value. A better boat will hold its resale if you ever move on

• Wombat661
  • Visitor
1 year 9 months ago #39886 by Wombat661
My philosophy is the more time you invest in an activity, the better the equipment you should get. If you are only paddling once every few months, any boat would do. If you are going out regularly, you will end up getting a nice boat anyway. Buy nice and buy once.

Latest Forum Topics