3.8m Recreational Ski

More
2 years 11 months ago #38371 by STC67
3.8m Recreational Ski was created by STC67
Is anyone using one of these just for general training or fun in the surf? What are your thoughts?

I'm looking at either a Pullen or Wavemaster 3.8m. Wanted to use it to see if I might like ski paddling (30years surfing and cycling) and if I don't then just use for fun in the waves. 

We live on a beach break that has an outer bank that would be fun to ride some high tide sliders on. There is a ski paddling club not far and I have tried out a full on race ski with them. I went all right over a flat water course but they seem way to long for recreational use in the surf. 

Would using this ski in the surf be good training for longer events on a racing ski? Some of these appeal to me.

Could my wife jump on it for just a flatwater paddle for exercise? All the distributors are sold out and you can't try before ordering. They look really fun but I just don't see any around so not sure why.

Thanks
STC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38372 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic 3.8m Recreational Ski
Looks like they have non adjustable footrest like spec skis so you would have to order one with correct leg length. One of the reasons spec skis have low resale value as you have to match paddler leg length to ski....This is done to minimise cockpit capacity to reduce swamping in breakers

Mainly for playing in the surf rather than any distance paddling, upside is they are compact and easy to transport and store. Should be quite stable (they even sell them with rod holders).  Not sure it would really give an ocean racing surfski like experience though

More
2 years 11 months ago #38373 by mrcharly
Replied by mrcharly on topic 3.8m Recreational Ski

Would using this ski in the surf be good training for longer events on a racing ski?

In a word, no.

Paddling a racing ski over longer events requires very different skills.
If you flipped the question "Would paddling long distances in a racing ski be good training for surfing in a waveski" the answer would be no.
Skillset very very different.
The fitness type is different as well. Surfing is all about very short bursts of exertion. For long events you need to build stamina. You probably already have that from cycling though.

Latest Forum Topics