Paddles similar to Gara Odin

More
3 years 1 month ago #38215 by qmento
Does anyone have a recommendation for a paddle with a similar feel to a Gara Odin S? Gara's messed up my last two orders so I'm looking for another manufacturer to try.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #38218 by Bitemekaos
Hi mate I have had a Gara Odin for the last 4 years, I am from Australia and the first paddle they sent me formed an air bubble in the blade. Sent an email with a photo and two weeks later a new paddle arrived with a new cover. I ventured out in between with a more well known and expensive paddle which I paddled with for a year only to end up with sore shoulders with any paddle I did over 10 km. Long story short I paddled with what I called the bubble paddle for 6 months and won of couple of races,my replacement paddle arrived and I stuck with the expensive known brand through my own stubbornness because I spent a lot of money on it. I paddle with the Odin now for the last couple of years and I know there not the ants pants but they work. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: qmento

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #38219 by LaPerouseBay
Cannot help with a similar blade to the Odin S. 

I tried an Odin S for about 2 minutes, went home and ordered a standard Odin.  

I paddled with the Epic mid for about 8 years then switched to the Odin.  I'll never go back.  My wrists, elbows and shoulders  never ever get sore, and I just turned 60.  I sprint like a psycho on occasion.  

Odin has a more forgiving catch and release, perfect for downwinding.  I downwind only, no flat water.  I can run the Odin shaft out at 210-211.  The Epic was brutal by comparison, I could only run it at 207 - 208 before losing control and risking sore joints...  

I busted a blade and the West Coast representative fixed me up fast.   Nothing but good good to say about Gara quality.  Light, strong.  They had a video about how they make them - very high tech.  That bubble was probably just a cosmetic hickey from doing a layup with a mold that was still too hot.  You have to cool them down before starting another layup or the resin will go off early.  Those molds cost 4 thousand each years ago.  That's the big problem with a shop trying to run production.  You gotta have a bunch of molds.  Gara has the good molds, it's on the video.  That's what it takes to make a light, strong quality blade and that's what Gara is.    Cheap paddle blades are heavy and weak.  I won't trust my life on the water for a few hundred bucks, but that's just me.

Nothing bad to say about Epic's, I never had a problem.  I just don't like the grabby catch.  I can plant the Odin, then pull and it doesn't feel like I'm doing something wrong...  it's just more forgiving...      

South Africans will get my money if it has anything to do with downwind.  Those people are into it.    

downwind dilettante
The following user(s) said Thank You: qmento

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #38226 by McD23
Replied by McD23 on topic Paddles similar to Gara Odin
Hi,
slight hi jack sorry.
Can anyone give a comparison between Gara Odin and Orca Inner Pro ?
Thanks

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #38228 by zachhandler
Slightly tangential to the original question, but maybe of interest to someone: I owned a Gara Freya. The quality seemed excellent but I am not sure about the design. With each paddle stroke it wanted to rotate with the lip of the wing moving back and the flat edge moving forward. Almost like there was more blade area below the axis of the shaft than above.  I could never get that to go away. I had a friend who is extremely knowledgeable of paddle shapes try it and it was the same for him. I have not heard of anyone else's experience with the Freya. But everyone seems to love the Odin. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #38229 by mrcharly
Zach, tried a bunch of paddles before buying - a friend's paddle had similar behaviour. Sometimes it would dive towards the boat. Felt really unstable and insecure.
Found out (after I tried it) that friend was trying to sell the paddle because they couldn't get on with it. 

Yet that paddle model is quite popular. 

Paddle likes and dislikes are really individual.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #38238 by qmento
Replied by qmento on topic Paddles similar to Gara Odin
Based on some of the comments, I guess I should have added some context to my request for info. I own a Gara Odin, it's a great paddle. Highly recommended if you want a paddle with a firm catch, but forgiving in rough conditions. But ... and I'll keep this short ... I ordered three from Gara over the last six months and NONE of them came as ordered. The wing paddle gods have spoken, you're not allowed to get an Odin (at least one I want). After doing some research I recently ordered a Braca XI Van Dusen ’92. Great paddle too! Firm catch, forgiving, and surprisingly light. Bit more expensive, but I got it in seven days from 5000 miles away.

Latest Forum Topics