Downwind video - Lost Fabulous Youtube video

More
3 years 3 months ago #37991 by Gibson
HI Guys,

Fabulous site and wealth of information thanks everyone.

There was a downwind video that was truly fabulous and inspired me and many I shared it with and I cannot find it anymore now.

Im sure some of you will know it. Its 2 guys in a double ski and starts with them onshore maybe calling each other to arrange. One is wearing some sort of wig type hat.

It may be South African origin but I am unsure.
Thanks for any assistance you can offer. 

Iain.  
(Brisbane Australia)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #37992 by [email protected]
It would have been these maniacs, Zach and Jerry:

They're really good blokes, absolutely stoked every time they're on the water - and you can hear them whooping and yelling from miles away!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
3 years 3 months ago #37993 by Gibson
Rob,

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

YES YES! Thats the video indeed!  Makes my heart race immediately. Such a great video and run - full of energy.

Thanks Rob,

Happy Paddling, 

Iain.

More
3 years 3 months ago #37994 by [email protected]
Haha - yeah, that's our "reverse Miller's" run that we do when the northwester blows here in Cape Town.

(The classic Miller's Run is what we do in summer - the southeaster blows for four months or more...)

The reverse Miller's is just over 11km long (too short!)...  We hare out from the beach towards a lighthouse (Roman Rock lighthouse) which is about 2km offshore.  That's about half way and it's generally where the runs really take off... 

Fabulous stuff.  The wind is pretty consistent and most years we do somewhere between 50 and 100 Miller's Runs... 

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
3 years 3 months ago #37995 by mrcharly
They look like a pair of utter loons, in the best way possible (are they father and son?).

A lot to learn from their videos. Despite the whooping and antics, there is utter focus on getting on the wave, and beautiful synchronisation in their paddling.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #38000 by Watto
Brilliant clip great to watch it again, what a ball-tearer! 

Something that has bugged me with this clip is how the hell action is captured front and rear from a high angled perspective (note rear camera angle appears to be above the head of rear paddler) however nary a camera in sight!!

Just  noticed at beginning of the clip the parting spray around a front camera or pole. Thought originally they might have used drones but none in sight. Reckon it's a pic on a stick. Any thoughts? If so how come not sighted - front camera can't be seen from rear and vice versa?

I've experimented a bit with cameras front and rear, on head and helmet but not altogether happy with results. I know DAZ has a dedicated pole attached to the deck however I balk at this coming ashore in waves where any flip of the boat likely to rip everything off.

Any downwind paddling filming perspective tips?
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Watto.

More
3 years 3 months ago #38001 by [email protected]

If so how come not sighted - front camera can't be seen from rear and vice versa?

Hahaha, for this video, they did two runs in succession, one with the camera mast in front, one with it on the back! 

Rob

More
3 years 3 months ago #38002 by Watto
Haha what a classic! Well picked to me anyway. Thanks Rob.

More
3 years 1 month ago #38167 by Watto
Haha what a classic!  Thanks Rob!

Latest Forum Topics