Nelo 550 Rudder cable fraying

More
3 years 6 months ago #37268 by JohnK
Hoping someone can offer some advice on how to deal with a rudder cable fraying on a 550. The cable appears to rub just a few centietres into the ski in the cockpit where the cable enters the black plastic. is this common? can the plastic be removed to check? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37270 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Nelo 550 Rudder cable fraying
Got a photo?
You're saying it frays inside the tube?

More
3 years 6 months ago #37271 by JohnK
Replied by JohnK on topic Nelo 550 Rudder cable fraying
Hi TVE,
Yes it is rubbing against something inside the ski. I was wondering if the tube is disconnected and the edge is cutting into the cable. It has always been like this and I have moved it forawrd once and cut off the frayed section.
I can feel it when I apply pressure to the pedal.
cheers
Attachments:

More
3 years 6 months ago #37272 by tve
You can easily check whether there is a problem with the tube attachment: make sure the boat is dry inside (nothing comes out the vent hole); then take a hose and send water into the tube from the rudder (rear) end. The water should come out by the seat. Then check whether the boat took on water inside.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37284 by JohnK
Thank you TVE, I will give that a try this evening. It has always been dry inside as far as I know so that is promising.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37307 by JohnK
Hi Tve,

I tried sending water up the tube and it arrives in the bucket but nothing going into the ski.
I will need to remove the black plastic to see what is going on. It is becoming more difficult to push the pedal.
If anyone know how to remove the plastic I would be grateful.
Cheers

More
3 years 6 months ago #37308 by tve
Something I've found is that after a bit over a year the salt that gets into the tubes made the cord stiffer and the rudder harder to move. I had to change the adjustment blocks so I put new cords in and the rudder became a lot easier to actuate. I wonder whether some fresh water perhaps with something to soften the salt crust might help you.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37310 by JohnK
TVE,
I have tried that flushing the tube but it hasn't helped unfortunately. I think the only way to go is to remove the black plastic piece to see what is going on. I have asked Nelo to suggest a repair shop some time ago but have not received any answer.
Cheers

Latest Forum Topics