How to leash up in a double.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36940 by Newbflat
I’m getting back into paddling after a two year hiatus do to caregiving responsibility’s.  Im paddling with a friend in a double V8 now.  We have been paddling in flat water and surfing boat wakes but are heading out for our, actually her first downwind next weekend I hope. I’m curious on leashing up on a double. Are there any philosophy’s on if both need to be leashed?  just the rear?  Just the front?  Any tips on double leashing? 

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36941 by zachhandler
I leash both paddlers. I dont see a downside to it and it reinforces good habits. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #36942 by Newbflat
Hi Zach, I take your point about consistency.  I was thinking about ski orientation when in the water. If leashed to the aft handle it would drift pointing downwind and be easer to choose your side to mount on.  Or, if the front paddler leashed it would point up wind.   If both paddlers were leashed and ended up In the water on each side of the ski it would be hard for one to get to the  up wind side of the ski .  I’m just thinking out loud really.    When I had a V10 double we only had the aft “stoker” leashed. But we never swam so I can’t really comment on things. 

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Newbflat.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36948 by feeny
Replied by feeny on topic How to leash up in a double.
Definitely at least one. 

I used to just leash the aft paddler, but in gnarly conditions, if stuff goes bad, there can be a swim involved, and the aft paddler has no steering.

I now leash both. Agree with ZH, I don't see a downside to it - would be pretty hard for front/back paddlers to fall out different sides of the boat, as usually with a capsize, the boat tips only to one side, not both - so should be quite a feat to have the leashes wrapped opposite ways.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36959 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic How to leash up in a double.
If you do only use one leash; that leash would need to be very strong.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
3 years 9 months ago #36985 by Newbflat
Good points all.  I haven’t thought about the ski surfing away without the helmsmen.  I make my own leashes that are orders of magnitude stronger than any commercial variety’s available so I’m not worried about strength.  I was more thinking out loud and looking for then braintrusts thoughts.  I will leash up the rear paddler with my runner system and set mine up so I can unclip and from the water and change sides of the ski of needed. The rear paddler can do that without unclipping.. . . 

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

Latest Forum Topics