Sit bone pain

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #36837 by SpaceSputnik
Sit bone pain was created by SpaceSputnik
Ok, here's the problem I have developed. Lost a few pounds lately due to all the erg work and now my behind is all bones pressed into a bucket of my SES. Not so much an issue in my Epic 18x but in the ski it seems I get a strand of muscle trapped in between the left side sit bone and the bucket. It really hurts and I need some sort of solution soon.
Tried the Epic pad but that creates other issues. With that I get dull pain on both sides after an hour or so, so that's not good.
Thinking about trying one of the fluidized gel cushions from Skwoosh. Any other ideas? 
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36840 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic Sit bone pain
I had the same problem with my Stellar Skis (SR + SEI) I got a gel seatpad from Skwoosh. That solved the problem for me.
They are quite thin so the stability isn´t affected. I put two self adhesive velcro stripes into the bucket to fix the pad.
On the bottom of the pad I used Aquaseal to glue the velcro to the pad.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
3 years 9 months ago #36841 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Sit bone pain

M.v.E. wrote: I had The same problem with my Stellar Skis (SR + SEI) I got a gel seatpad from Skwoosh. That solved the problem for me.
They are quite thin so the stability isn´t affected. I put two self adhesive velcro stripes into the bucket to fix the pad.

Which specific pad have you used? There are a couple of models.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36843 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic Sit bone pain

SpaceSputnik wrote:

M.v.E. wrote: I had The same problem with my Stellar Skis (SR + SEI) I got a gel seatpad from Skwoosh. That solved the problem for me.

Which specific pad have you used? There are a couple of models.

I used the Kayak pad and lately the Master Row Pad.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36844 by Paddlehead
Replied by Paddlehead on topic Sit bone pain
Are you sure it is a compression thing and not a hamstring injury. I have the same thing and it is a hamstring attachment aggravation. 
Try stretching your mammies with your leg slightly bent (like you were paddling). If this reproduces your pain or is uncomfortable it may be the problem.
Mine usually manifests after an hour of paddling, with a sore hip and pain down my leg., but its all referred from the hammy attachment on the ischial tuberosity (sit bone). Padding etc makes no difference. I suspect I need a large needle full of magic juice.
A mate, who had the same problem, required surgery.

Current: NK Storm 61, Kayak Centre Zeplin.

Past: Epic gen3 V10, Fenn Elite carbon, Fenn Elite Vac glass, Fenn Elite SL, Gen 1 Stellar SEL ultra, Epic V10 gen 2, Carbonology Vault, Fenn Swordfish, Red7 pro 70, Think Legend, Red7 60, Fenn Xt.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36849 by SpaceSputnik
No, that does not reproduce the pain. It's compression. My jammies are in decent shape generally.

Paddlehead wrote: Are you sure it is a compression thing and not a hamstring injury. I have the same thing and it is a hamstring attachment aggravation. 
Try stretching your mammies with your leg slightly bent (like you were paddling). If this reproduces your pain or is uncomfortable it may be the problem.
Mine usually manifests after an hour of paddling, with a sore hip and pain down my leg., but its all referred from the hammy attachment on the ischial tuberosity (sit bone). Padding etc makes no difference. I suspect I need a large needle full of magic juice.
A mate, who had the same problem, required surgery.

More
3 years 8 months ago #36961 by Arcturus
Replied by Arcturus on topic Sit bone pain
Did you put the Skwoosh pad in and try it?

I found that my sit bone ache diminished with more ski practice and an additional adjustment of the footplate to give me one more notch of leg extension room. Which is I think three notches more than what I used the first time. Happy now and going faster, too.

But I am still curious about auxiliary padding. I am wearing 2mm neoprene and know doing without that would make the sit bones feel the bucket. Badly. Not gonna try it.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #36973 by SpaceSputnik
I have bought a yellow Skwoosh and tried it in the ski. It mostly took care of the pain, but it sort of filled the bucket in an awkward way that took away most of the balance I have in that boat. I was also sitting asymmetrically somehow, so I packed it up 15 min into it and went home. It's a non-starter. I probably need a more stable ski with a slightly wider bucket for this to work. Can't to it as is unfortunately. The SES is for sale now.

"I found that my sit bone ache diminished with more ski practice"
Oddly I have not had that issue in the previous seasons despite poorer technique and all that. I paddled the SES in thin bicycle tights with no issues. This season, I get hurt even in a drysuit with wool pants.

However, the same pad works wonderfully in the 18x. One day I paddled for 12 hours with one landing and had zero discomfort. 

Arcturus wrote: Did you put the Skwoosh pad in and try it?

I found that my sit bone ache diminished with more ski practice and an additional adjustment of the footplate to give me one more notch of leg extension room. Which is I think three notches more than what I used the first time. Happy now and going faster, too.

But I am still curious about auxiliary padding. I am wearing 2mm neoprene and know doing without that would make the sit bones feel the bucket. Badly. Not gonna try it.

Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

Latest Forum Topics