Choosing drysuite

• Liplet
  • I like kayaking, paddling, fishing, cooking
More
3 years 11 months ago #36309 by Liplet
Choosing drysuite was created by Liplet
Hello everyone! This is my first post here. It is for those who own a kayak.
I used to wear Typhoon drysuits (owned 3 already), and everything was OK but recently decided to try another brand. The problem is how to choose it because I have never studied deeply the topic about drysuits and just bought favourite brand (to tell you the truth, it became favourite after the first time wearing). 
I watched a video  8 Tips for Choosing a Drysuit for Kayaking  and finally started to seek other good brands following these tips. Found this unit on Amazon (shipping doesn't matter) -  Stohlquist Amp Drysuit with Tunnel Drysuit . For a "large person" like me, it seems pretty good. And the red colour is awesome, I like red clothes. So...does anyone know anything about this brand/model? There are a few reviews on Amazon (+-27), and I need more info. In some  reviews  it is named "best for kayaking" but I can't completely trust them.
Which drysuit do you have?
All suggestions, thoughts and opinions are appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
3 years 11 months ago #36311 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Choosing drysuite
I used a Kokatat Goretex front entry suit for a couple years and liked it a lot. Kokatat's warranty is excellent. They replaced the suit for free after the seams started delaminating for only the cost of shipping (the suit was several years old when I got it, and only had seam issues after using it a couple more). 

I heard North Face had some new material that was supposed to be 3x as breathable as Goretex Pro, but havent seen a paddling suit made from it yet. 

Everyone else has good proprietary fabrics as well (NRS, Stohlquist, etc), but I havent used their suits. My personal recommendation goes to Kokatat if you have the budget for it due to their kick ass warranty and standard bearing Goretex Pro fabric

More
3 years 11 months ago #36315 by TomVW
Replied by TomVW on topic Choosing drysuite
I have a "SUPSKIN Paddleskin", which I chose for the lightweight, breathable fabric.
For surfski-ing, I think it is brilliant: I almost don't notice I am wearing it, can paddle hard in freezing temperature without completely overheating in my suit and I don't really feel a lot of resistance to movement.
For kayaking, it misses a double tunnel for the spray-skirt, but I don't know how important that is for you...

I have been wearing it for 2 seasons now, twice a week from November to March, and it still perform well despite the lightweight construction. When I bought it, it missed a short seam taping section in the right calf area. I repaired that myself with some sealing tape and haven't had a problem since then.

Overall, I highly recommend it for a lightweight drysuit allowing high intensity paddling in the cold months.

Oh, and Welcome to this board!

• 996023127265225@facebook
  • Visitor
3 years 11 months ago #36316 by 996023127265225@facebook
Replied by 996023127265225@facebook on topic Choosing drysuite
If u can afford it I heard great things about Kokatat suits. I have a "Ursuit MPS". It is made from Goretex and incredible breathable and light. It is not made for long time Immersion, but keeps me dry and warm while remounting. The pros ans cons a kind of the same as Tom´s Paddleskin ^ 

Have fun ;)

More
3 years 11 months ago #36322 by Cerca Trova
Replied by Cerca Trova on topic Choosing drysuite
I have a Supskin supskin.com and I really like it. I have more freedom of movement than I had in my previous drysuit. 
The only problem I will say is it took longer to receive than told.

More
3 years 11 months ago #36323 by SurfskiEstonia
Replied by SurfskiEstonia on topic Choosing drysuite
I have a Typhoon Multisport 4. Don't recommend it, heard the same from other paddlers. I promised myself not to paddle in cold water anymore, but if I were to buy a drysuit now, I'd definitely go for Kokakat. It seems to get uniformly positive reviews both online and from people I've talked to personally who had them.

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

More
3 years 11 months ago #36339 by Donhass
Replied by Donhass on topic Choosing drysuite
The  Goretex pro saved me in cold weather when I was out kayaking later then I should have been. I highly recommend for kayaking .

More
3 years 11 months ago #36350 by jporter
Replied by jporter on topic Choosing drysuite
I had a Amp and I like the neoprene gaskets. Just got the Stohlquist Shift for use with my Epic V8 and my sailboat. 

More
3 years 11 months ago #36361 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Choosing drysuite
I have an Amp and I do like it a lot. However, after 2 active seasons I am seeing small areas of wear. Nothing I can't fix and I can't really fault it for anything serious so far. It is a comfortable suit and I like wearing it and as far as durability time will tell.

I find that my performance decreases notably as I start adding layers under the suit. Just a suit over a thin layer (water 15C or so) is barely noticeable but heading into lower temps I get slower. Around actual winter time (I am in Toronto Canada) a ski gets uncomfortable no matter how many layers. My feet freeze. At that point I get into a sea kayak which is warmer.

More
3 years 11 months ago #36381 by agooding2
Replied by agooding2 on topic Choosing drysuite
I like my Kokatat seem-drysuit.  The semi means the neck is neoprene vs  latex which I find more comfortable and since I am not in waves, rolling or in heavy whitewater is dry enough for me.  I swam in a class II river a few times and did not notice water inside.

Right now they are 20% off at nrs.com 

Fabric is the proprietary Typhoon coating, not as durable as GoreTex and only a two year warranty, but seems to be holding up fine for the last two years and I prefer the $450-550 price tag to $800-1000.  I d get sweaty if paddling hard at 50 degrees air temperature or paddling easy at 60 degrees, worse when it is  sunny or not windy. II would have preferred a lighter and brighter color than blue but that was the color available.

i layer an Immersion Research one piece stretchy fleece liner and that plus either a pile vest or jacket from LL Bean keeps dry on the inside even if I am sweating.  Went in three times in 45 degree water and had no issues with getting cold or remounting.

-- Andrew

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

Latest Forum Topics