Surfski with a kite or handheld wing?

More
4 years 6 months ago #35189 by d0uglass
The other day I tried the new "wingsurfing" trend, standing on a windsurf board and holding the inflatable wing. 
jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2019/09/i-tried-wingsurfing.html
It wouldn't be ideal to use from a surfski, since you'd be sitting a bit too low to the water, but I think it might still work. 
Has anybody tried using their surfski with a small kiteboarding kite or one of these wings?
-J

Stellar SEI 1g

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #35190 by SpaceSputnik
I don't know, wouldn't you swim a lot?

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 6 months ago #35191 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Surfski with a kite or handheld wing?
I've considered this many times but never pulled the trigger on a sail or kite. There are small round kayak sails on AliExpress for like $15. I've meant to get one cause its worth a few bucks to see how it goes. I'll try to use this thread as motivation to get a sail. I assume I would swim, but you only know if you try :)

Curious if anyone as tried though. Downwind seems like a natural friend of the kite/sail

More
4 years 6 months ago #35193 by tve
Problem is, downwind there's not much wind power left (unless it's really howling). To go fast, sail boats tack going downwind...

More
4 years 6 months ago #35195 by mrcharly
tve has it right. Well, technically, it is a gybe when going downwind, but is a similar maneuver. Will take you across the face of the waves. 
Can't quite see the point when using a surfski.
For sea kayaking, the idea is to conserve energy on long paddles. So, small sail/wing, small boost for a long paddle to give you a bit of a rest - but not expected to give a really high speed. 

Latest Forum Topics