Billy B's Surfski Leash System

More
4 years 10 months ago #34192 by SpaceSputnik
I am using both leg and paddle leashes. The disadvantage is this combo is obviously that they do tangle up, but I am not ready to lose the paddle leash. I have been known to have an overly loose grip and a couple of times a wave came close to knocking the paddle out of my hands.
By an accident I came across to this idea of using a couple of interconnected ropes instead of coiled leashes.

tcsurfski.com/2013/09/23/surfski-leash/

Anyone tried it? Seams that this may tangle a little less? I also like the idea of a non-coiled rope. In a Think Evo the foot well is tight and a cooled leash stuck between leg and boat is pretty annoying and so is needing to adjust it.

Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34195 by Epicpaddler
Interesting. I can appreciate that from my sea kayaking days. I've only tried a paddle leash once, but I can see how it would be nice on the really big " I'm not sure I should be out here" days.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34198 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Billy B's Surfski Leash System
Looks interesting. I'm often bothered by the coiled mess around my ankles and bailer, so this is worth trying to see whether the 6ft rope is better.
The main downside I can see is the attachment at the shoulder strap. I almost never have my PFD properly tightened around the waist and in a situation where a breaking wave pulls the boat away from the paddler with force this could pull the PFD off over the head.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34199 by mamaru
What about the emergency release? I would not like any system where I cannot separate from my gear if need be!

I was bothered by the ankle leash, too, so I use a hip belt with a long coiled leash to the back handle of the ski and a separate paddle leash. Up to now this setup never came in my way during swimming or remount, plus the ski is oriented in direction of wind and waves and not hit broadside as with the common attachment point in the middle of the ski. There was a thread about this in the recent past, but somehow I cannot remember the right key words leading me there in the search?

More
4 years 10 months ago #34200 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Billy B's Surfski Leash System

What about the emergency release? I would not like any system where I cannot separate from my gear if need be!

His rope isn't tied to the pfd, there's a carabiner there. He can free himself from his gear if he need to.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34204 by mamaru
How do you free a normal carabiner when the leash is under tension? There are some that have a release mechanism, but I don't see it here.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34208 by mcbit
Odd thing is that I have never felt that I am going to let go of my paddle at any point, so have never considered the need for a paddle leash. I definitely see the need for a ski leash as I have often been in the situation where I would have disconnected from the boat if I had not been wearing one.

Horses for courses I suppose.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34209 by Ranga
Should NOT be wearing a leash in the wave zone.
Also I have only seen problems with non-coiled leashes, big problems. Solid rope was done before hence no manufacturer makes them, for good reason.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34211 by PSwitzer
System looks pretty sweet if you're worried about losing the boat due to strong wind, but I would be nervous using a non-elastic tether if there is a chance of getting hit with any kind of big breaking wave.  The nice thing about the coil-type leashes is they will stretch to absorb energy, sparing you and the boat the hit.  I've been nailed pretty good in open water, and the leash kept me attached, but the coil was completely deformed and the leash quite a bit longer afterwards..

Obviously don't use leash in surf zone, but sometimes you get powerful moving water whacking you in the deep stuff, too.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #34212 by Fath2o
From a slightly different perspective on elastic leashes. I was surfing waves, up to three times over my head, at Cloudbreak in Fiji. I had just broke out my brand new big wave board. I was at the end of one of the best waves of my life entering an area of the reef called "Shiskabobs". I got drilled and when I came up I realized that I was anchored to the reef by my leash and board being wedged in the reef. Took about 5 big ones on the head fighting a strong current trying to keep my head above water before my board broke free.
Yes, I could have released my ankle leash, but, there is no beach on this underwater reef and chances are my board would be lost. The other reason was that the boat was at least a 1/4 mile swim up current and across deep open water.
Anyway the 15' big wave leash with Velcro ankle cuff held and later measured the leash to be 23' long. The next wave I caught was even bigger and ended up breaking my new board in half on my fourth wave. Expensive waves!
My daughter and I ended up turning the extra long leash into a kayak anchor line.
Sure glad I wasn't tied to the bottom with a rope!
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Fath2o.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34213 by SpaceSputnik
Allright then, this system looks like a non-starter. Good to know, thanks all.

Latest Forum Topics