Help with a repair

More
4 years 11 months ago #33992 by Dave74
Help with a repair was created by Dave74
Hi I'm looking for some advice on a repair to my Knysna Genius RS, the red bumper is damaged, I've attached a photo 
I'd like to try and repair it myself, it's a used surfski so it'll be good practice 

My initial thoughts are to get an epoxy resin repair kit ( surfboard ding kit ) and cover the whole area to make sure it's watertight 
Then get an epoxy resin putty and mould it to fill the bumper area back in 

Questions are 
Is this going to be the best approach, I can see various types of material 
Will all the different types stick to each other as long as I've washed first and roughed up the surfaces with sandpaper 
Do I need both products 
Any other suggestions appreciated 

Thanks 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #33996 by PSwitzer
Replied by PSwitzer on topic Help with a repair
Is there a hole in the layup- can you suck air through or does water leak out?

The main issue I see with your plan is if you apply an epoxy coat first, then the putty might not stick to a smooth surface.

If there is no actual breach in the hull then I would go with a one-step plan= sanding down the area, mixing up the epoxy putty pretty thick so it doesn't run off prior to slapping tape over the whole thing while it cures, then sand down flush.

If there is a hole in the hull, mix a thin epoxy, then apply to area and use negative pressure to suck it into the repair, I would repeat at intervals while waiting for the epoxy to go off to make sure you get good penetration.  Then re-sand the surface and do the putty thing.

I would recommend bypassing the ding kits and just get the epoxy resin/hardener along with some kind of filler/thickener and some cloth at a marine supply.  Where I'm at you can buy all this stuff at the local hardware store.  Will be way cheaper in the long run.  Steal a bunch of wooden stir sticks from starbucks, and small paper condiment cups from a chain restaurant, they make it easy to mix the correct ratios for the epoxy.

You can sand small areas by hand with a block, but for larger jobs a random orbital sander is really nice.

I am not an expert, just a guy who has been doing repairs on my own boats for a while with success, I don't put much value on aesthetics...  Maybe Ranga will chime in with some pro advice.

More
4 years 11 months ago #33998 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Help with a repair
Hi, I don't see a hole.
As per the previous advice, suck on the damaged area to see if you get any air coming from the inside, which I doubt. Looks like a chunk of gelcoat has just chipped off, fiberglass and resin will not just chip off like that.
As for the repair, I would just sand the edges smooth to get the edges down to the bottom layer and maybe just find some nail polish of the same colour and do a touch-up. It will be cheap and look good. I do however doubt the manicurist at you local shop will like a 6.5m ski sticking out of her shop, so best do it yourself!

More
4 years 11 months ago #34001 by Dave74
Replied by Dave74 on topic Help with a repair
Thanks for the advice guys

There's definitely no hole, everything is hard. It's just the red trim that chipped off. 

My problem is I'm relatively new to surfski ( I also bypassed kayaking ) and I've no experience with fibreglass so I see 3 different colours = possibly 3 different materials = panic 

Luckily my niece is a nail technician so getting red nail polish is super easy. 
I may look at getting some epoxy and just put a small amount on the area just to get some experience of working with the materials.
At least I know there's no need to panic now.

I'll keep all this advice for future reference so thank you both 

Latest Forum Topics