V10 Sport Gen 2 vs Current Design

More
5 years 7 months ago #32509 by SpaceSputnik
Just wondering how significant are the differences between older Epic V10 Sport and the current design. We have a couple of club gen 2s (circa 2012) floating on the used market for a reasonable price.
Newer ones are not available used and the club layup is now unavailable which would bump my expenditure more than twice compared to the used. Are the differences that critical?
I plan to keep my V7, so I would have a fallback where rock solid stability is important.

PS I am aware of the difference points such slower, less stable, old bailer and no carry handles.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32510 by ReggieGrundy
I just bought my self an older V10 SPORT. My other ski is a V8 PRO. I am a beginner paddler and only bought the V10 SPORT as it was a bargain and thought I may get use out of it in the future. Unfortunately I have found it to be similar speed as the v8 PRO and certainly not faster, however this could be because of slight less stability. I would suggest the older v10 Sport would be a significant upgrade from a v7 but to answer your question I think the new v10 SPORT is alot more refined than previous versions. That's what I've been led to believe from people that have paddled both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
5 years 7 months ago #32514 by mickeyA
I thought v10Sport g2 was the current design. Did they recently come out with g3/current design? As I recall, g2 has 2013 design label stamped on stern with year made sometime after that (mine says 2015). I guess it is near time for a new design but was not aware of it. Thanks.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
5 years 7 months ago #32516 by SpaceSputnik
There is a post here somewhere talkig about 3 generations I think (could be wrong though, too much info :) The difference I am talking about is V10s without handles and new bailer vs with those.
The used boats I see are without those things.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32523 by mickeyA
Maybe the 2013 current design is in fact gen 3 and I am mistaken. The newer Sport is superior to the old model (you pointed out all the important features). But the older model is still a very good ski and there is price where it makes more sense. Ex: in $US, if a newer model black tip sport was $1800 and older model black tip $800, I would buy older model. But if older model was $1300, I would pay up for newer model. Since the latest version of Sport was designed in 2013, I would think a little time would show some used boats offered (I've bought two 2013-designed sports, one black tip, one red, in last ~2yrs). I have seen others over the years in USA. The V8Pro has similar speed to newer Sport, and with a little extra stability, so I would certainly keep an eye out for the Pro, but since it is much newer, there are not many used ones on the market. Looking at Epic's website, you are right in it does not look like they offer club layup, blue tip, in any of there skis anymore, including v6 and v8.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #32524 by SpaceSputnik
The pricing goes like this: a good condition used 2012 bluetip goes for about 2000$ canadian or a touch less. The new one in Performance construction (the lowest layup) will work out to 4300$ roughly.

Another question is this. If this will end up being another transitional boat for me that I would end up selling eventually then I would probably lose a lot of money on a new V10S while probably preserving most of the 2000$ I paid for the used one.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32526 by Ranga
There are only 2 models of V10 Sport.

I would happily use and race the old one if I had no choice, still fast and stable.

As for the prices? A six year old Club for $2000.00? That is a rip off, some skis that age are in the bin already, however Epics do outlast many skis but that price is astronomical like wise the Performance (black tip) that is almost a new price. Just a note the performance is NOT the lowest layup it is the middle layup, the club (blue tip) is the cheapest and heaviest layup.

I raced the Sport for around 3 years and was competitive against all the top end skinny skis in my age. I would average just under 15km/hr on downwind, on the flat I could sprint just as fast as anyone else. This is not a slow ski by any standard.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32527 by SpaceSputnik
Canadian dollars. Also Epic discontinued the club layup, which bumped up the price for new entry level V10s.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32528 by Ranga
I am still not getting you. I can get a new performance for around $4000.00 Canadian (US$3100.00)

More
5 years 7 months ago #32530 by SpaceSputnik
In the past I could get a brand new club for under 3000$ CAD but this layup is no longer available. So 4000 now is a minimum purchase price for a brand new V10S.
Used older gens are less than half of that. Granted they are clubs so its a lesser layup but my point is that if I want a V10S these are my options.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32539 by SpaceSputnik
Ah forget it. I will get a new Performance before next season.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32604 by TC SURF SKI downunder
One trick the guys in Surf Lifesaving use with SPEC SKIS is add some water in the hull to increase stability for newcomers.

Now I know Ocean Racing Skis like the V10 Sport are lighter (and can damage easier) nor do they have added buoyancy like Spec Skis - but adding maybe 4 or 6 squeeze bottles in your V10 Sport will drop the ski in the water and may help stability. I've tried it for a few in my group and it does help.

I agree with some others - I find the Gen1 V10S really unstable relative to the Gen2. Actually I find personally the Gen2 V10 is also more stable than Gen1 V10S.

Stick with the V10S - but consider upgrading later to the Gen2. Out of my V10GT, the V10S (Ultra) and my Gen1 V12(Ultra) - the stability of the V10S means I'll get my best time. Yes that means I am intermediate - the advanced guys will get more from the V10 & V12

Good luck.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32610 by SpaceSputnik
Thank you. I mulled it over some more and those used gen 1s are just too expensive for being a "for now" ski. Shooting for a current gen perhaps not immediately though (family budget and all)

Latest Forum Topics