V7 drain plug keeps popping out

More
5 years 9 months ago #31873 by SpaceSputnik
Hi All

The drain plug (the rubber one above the small bungee in the foot well) keeps popping out on my V7. I have been involved in a rescue practice with a bunch of sea kayakers and caught the plug popped out 3 times. I am confident that nothing came in contact with it but it kept popping.

Any solutions to this? An alternative plug, tape, etc?

Thanks
Yury

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wombat661
  • Visitor
5 years 9 months ago #31875 by Wombat661
Replied by Wombat661 on topic V7 drain plug keeps popping out
Get a 1/2" rubber "well nut" from Home Depot or big hardware store. Get a 1/4-20 brass screw to screw thru the well nut. You will need a screw driver to tighten the screw and expand the well nut. It will never come out. Is almost flush to the ski, so you can slide over it.

I don't usually don't slide over the well nut, so I reversed the brass screw and used a wing nut on top to pull on the screw and expand the well nut. The wing nut sticks up, so it would hurt if you slide over it, but is more convenient.
Attachments:

More
5 years 9 months ago #31876 by SpaceSputnik
Thank you.
The owners manual refers to the plug as "breathable". I understand it's needed to equalize the pressure as the air inside cools off when the hull contacts water. I vaguely remember that bulkheads on sea kayaks have some breathabillity provisions.
Is sealing it tight with a well nut going to create any problems?

• Wombat661
  • Visitor
5 years 9 months ago #31877 by Wombat661
Replied by Wombat661 on topic V7 drain plug keeps popping out
I was thinking of a rubber plug that is used along with a breathing tube. If is a breathable plug, then no, don't use a rubber plug.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32104 by Selkie
I found this happens on all my Epics. The bung should remain breathable to allow equalisation of pressure on waves, heat etc. A simple solution is to cut a strip of plastic or neoprene with a ventilator hole (can use thin PVC tube through bung and strip). Use the screws on the bung to fix over the strip over the bung. This has never failed me in 6 years of use.

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
5 years 8 months ago #32186 by SpaceSputnik
Doesn't seem to be happening anymore. I make sure I close it with a firm push. Perhaps I was a little too casual before.

Latest Forum Topics