garmin Connect advice needed on live monitoring

More
6 years 4 months ago #30663 by lupacexi
friend of mine just got a garmin vivoactive he was told that it has live monitoring. for when he is out paddling on the ski i can monitor him LIVE and track him. it needs to be live tracking so if he gets into trouble and comes to shore early i can go to his location and get him. i know about connect IQ can anyone advice on does this monitor live. or for uploading completed activities

thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #30666 by wesley
I use live tracking occasionally but not recently. I put in 2 emails links to my wife and to my friend so could click on link and see where I was. Key is to let them know you are paddling and they need to check their devices. Sound obvious but necessary reminder to them. I just viewed Live Track and you can now share info via email, facebook or twitter. Uses your phone's battery so must be aware of that.

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

More
6 years 4 months ago #30668 by nwsurfskier
I've used it several times. It's great if you have someone running a downwind shuttle . They can see your progress and know when to be at the take out.

More
6 years 3 months ago #30670 by [email protected]
I've started using SafeTRX to send live-tracking info to my family when I'm on a downwind.

The SafeTRX app is available in some of Europe, South Africa, Australia and some other places. It runs on iOS and Android phones. It sends GPS positions every 10 min (by default) so it hardly uses any battery.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
3 years 3 months ago #37955 by thanhan
Simple if using JFM, it's great for this problem

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #37961 by LaPerouseBay
I use Google Maps.  It's free, seems to work ok.  

I  prefer the fewest apps possible on my phone.  I've been leery of extra apps on my phone since the flip phone days.  Garmin wants in, no.  Gopro wants in, no.  Social media, no.  Amazon, no.  Apple, no.  Microsoft, no.        

I choose to pick one monopoly to spy on me, and it's Google. 

They have it all:  messaging, gmail, contacts, maps, Chrome browser and cellphones.  All info shared across my phone, laptop and desktop.  Google is as seamless as Apple now.  Good for us old guys that need simple.     

No need for anti virus.  Windows 10 is fine on desktop/laptop.   

No windows 10 on phones though, so beware apps sneaking in.  Google writes Android for anyone who may be curious.  Google phones are first in line for all the latest Android software, including antivirus.  Nobody messes with Google.

No battery issues with the google maps 'location sharing'   

"What's App" was the absolute worst tracking app I've ever tried.  We tried it about 6 months ago.  When I finished the run my phone had a big white screen with only one button to push "allow what's app to run Adobe Flash?"  Yikes... 

What's App is a Facebook product by the way.  I deleted my Facebook account back in the flip phone days.       

downwind dilettante
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by LaPerouseBay.

Latest Forum Topics