Difference between Fenn Swordfish S and Fenn Swordfish

More
6 years 5 months ago #30205 by RichardCampbell
Hi All
Just wanting to know if there really a huge difference between the Swordfish and Swordfish S, in stability and paddling the two. I have been paddling the Elite S.
Also how does the Vajda 43 compare to the above??
Any information would help
Thanks
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #30209 by Atlas
Hi Richard. I have owned and extensively paddled a Swordfish (vac glass) and I currently own a Swordfish S (carbon hybrid). It won't surprise you to hear that they are very similar since the S is just an evolution of what was widely regarded as a good design.
I find the Swordfish to be a secure and supremely comfortable fit but I find the Swordfish S to be quite uncomfortable and loose. I've had to pad the cockpit out which I don't like having to do. FWIW I'm 175cm & 75kg.
I think the Swordfish S might be a tiny bit more stable but there is not much in it. The Swordfish S does catch runners noticeably easier than the original. Probably because of the cockpit having been moved forward. The lack of a leash attachment in the original is a PITA.
I have paddled the Hawx 43 briefly but not back to back with the Swordfish / S. This is a nice boat. I found it to be more comfortable than the Swordy and more stable than I expected. I don't think however I would be as confident in downwind conditions as I am in the Swordy (although it must be said that I still use a more stable boat in big downwinders).

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Atlas.

More
6 years 5 months ago #30211 by Bitemekaos
I think your wife will be cranky if she finds out your on here during your holidays Richard, Tested the Vadja myself last week and found it very stable with good ergonomics. Stability would be between your brothers elite s and the swordfish. I liked the Vadja alot for ocean paddling I feel it want be to traumatic in most conditions.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #30212 by RichardCampbell

Bitemekaos wrote: I think your wife will be cranky if she finds out your on here during your holidays Richard, Tested the Vadja myself last week and found it very stable with good ergonomics. Stability would be between your brothers elite s and the swordfish. I liked the Vadja alot for ocean paddling I feel it want be to traumatic in most conditions.

Thanks Greg H
My wifes all good, She wants me to get the correct ski, But it's trying to find the correct one. Im going to Sydney this Saturday to hopefully paddle the Vajda 43 and the Swordfish S. But it'll be hard to tell with a half hour paddle. There is a guy at work who has a Swordfish S, im going to ask him if I can charter it,And at least have a really good go at it. I'm still very happy with The Elite S, But it's trying to find one. I might just have to keep my brothers :) :)
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by RichardCampbell.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
6 years 5 months ago #30213 by Rod Thomas
Hi Richard I didn't notice any difference between the two Swordfish as far as performance, comfort or stability goes. I bought a hybrid Swordfish S which was beautifully finished and very light. The old Swordfish I borrowed at the Paddling School at Fish Hoek was a glass vacuum. Heavy and with soft spots all over. I was told (by the shop that repairs them) to avoid this layup when buying as Fenn don't put enough polyester into it to make it strong enough. So my hybrid is epoxy on the bottom and carbon fibre on top and I'm very happy with it and have been using it heavily for 2.5 years.

Latest Forum Topics