Heart rate monitor dropout

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #28635 by seajak
This has probably been covered here before but I've done a search and couldn't find anything. I'm having a problem with the heart rate function of my Magellan Switch. On a two hour paddle it will function perfectly for the first hour or so but then it will start losing contact repeatedly. When it does give a reading it is ridiculously low, I am getting fitter but there's no way I can paddle at 31bpm :) . The problem doesn't occur on the bike or walking so I'm wondering if salt water is shorting out the sensors. Perhaps the Scosche Rhythm + arm band sensor might work better as it doesn't rely on electrical impulses.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

cheers,
clay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #28637 by Kiwi Dave
I'm a Garmin man and the issues I've had previously were related to:
- Not enough moisture under the strap
- Low battery
- After a full submersion for a period

Never had any issues after a period of working fine but i pretty much always wear a PFD so the only way mine would get properly wet would be if I took a swim.

Is it possible its just getting too wet ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: seajak

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #28638 by seajak
Replied by seajak on topic Heart rate monitor dropout
Thanks Dave,

I think just getting too wet may be the problem. I'm doing a 20km training paddle on the river so I'm not wearing a PFD. It's been pretty hot and humid here so I end up fairly wet from sweat and paddle splash. That's why I'm wondering if one of the optical sensors like the Rhythm+ or Mio LINK might be a better option.

cheers,
clay

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #28642 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Heart rate monitor dropout
My Garmin heart rate monitor was rubbish, so I bought a Wahoo and that works a treat. It is blue tooth as well so can link to your phone if need be.
As for getting wet? Whats the point if it does not work wet, we paddle in water!

Latest Forum Topics