Moving to Honolulu (not me) .. Club help.

More
9 years 1 month ago #24139 by Newbflat
I have a friend who is moving to Honolulu for a teaching job at the U. He is not a ski paddler but has been a whitewater paddler and sea kayaker for years so has staying up right and sea skills. He is moving from a landlocked life to the water and would like to start ski paddling. I have taken him out on my skis and now that he will be near waters and he's game. I'm inquiring about the different clubs in Honolulu, what are they like, what's the ticket for a beginning paddler in terms of lessons and clubs, is this a good place to paddle?..etc... He's not a beginning paddler, just new too skis and needs time to get fit. I suspect he will pick up something like a V8 or equivalent to get the ball rolling. Any thought on connecting with the paddling community there?

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #24150 by Fuyang Guy
Zsolt Szadovszki is probably the guy to get hold of.
Big part of the paddling scene in Honolulu and he is the local Epic dealer. His e-mail is on the Epic Experts list at epickayaks.com

More
9 years 1 month ago #24156 by dcskcs
Pretty much the only club in the State directly associated with kayaking is Hawaii Canoe and Kayak Team, or HCKT. They are in Honolulu and have a web site. Zsolt is a coach with the club. The main club sport here is canoe paddling, and he should consider joining a canoe club if he wants to paddle and make friends. Most surfski paddling is done solo, or with friends paddling OC-1s, with most races in the winter months, organized by Kanaka Ikaika and PA'A. He could also check with Foti Bros, Go Bananas Kayaks, Twogood Kayaks (all with web sites) or Craigslist for boats.

Latest Forum Topics