Short waterproof pants?

More
8 years 10 months ago #23921 by Korrigan
Hi everyone,

I'm new in this forum and in the surfski world, I just bought a few days ago a Allwave Genesi (5.2m*.5m) to get initiated and I love it.

Unfortunately I have to practice sometimes in a very urban river and I would much prefer to not put my bottom in dirty waters for a long time. So do you know if there is on the market a short waterproof pant?

So far I found that:

- www.chillcheater.com/aqshop/catalogue.php?id=2554&page=
but I'm not sure it's waterproof, or this

- www.abys-kayak.com/product/KOKATAT-Tempest
but it's cumbersome and too hot

Any of you have this sort of problem? Thanks for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23924 by Uncle Frosty
I have a pair of Chillcheater shorts as well as three quarter pants and dry pants (bibs) with feet. I love the stuff. They are waterproof. You don't stay dry because they do not breath, but what really does? You do stay warm because there is no evaporative cooling, as with light weight neoprene. You can layer it up in cold weather--works great with fleece and other base layers or with no layers at all when it is cool.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23935 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Short waterproof pants?
Only a dry suit is waterproof, everything else ultimately gets wet inside for one reason or another. If anything likely to keep water out of pants though, chill cheater over neoprene every time.

I have a Reed Chillcheater Aquatherm top with zip and Aquatherm Fleece Pre-bent 3/4 Trousers both of which are brilliant at keeping you warm but neither waterproo, though they do repel most water. Ultimately you either sweat or splashed water gets in, pants less than top.

Paddled sunset around 15 centigrade other day, bit of a breeze, brisk but fine, put on chillcheater top just in case we were out and sh*t happened which it did. Minor issue, mate rudder failure in the dark and I had to go hunting back for him however chillcheater top perfect - both of us commented how gearing up as it were a good idea - better hot than cold.

So yeah product excellent, I'd strongly recommend chillcheater gear but unless you wear a dry suit, ultimately in everything else you're going to get damp.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23937 by Korrigan
Replied by Korrigan on topic Short waterproof pants?
Thanks both for your answers.

I guess I will go towards the Reed solution, wet is ok, I just want to avoid flows of polluted waters.

Out of this topic, I have replied two day ago to:
www.surfski.info/forum/2-announcements/1...ight-girl.html#23922
but I don't see my answer, is there a special etiquette before replying?

More
8 years 10 months ago #23944 by [email protected]

Out of this topic, I have replied two day ago to:
www.surfski.info/forum/2-announcements/1...ight-girl.html#23922
but I don't see my answer, is there a special etiquette before replying?

That's my fault - I do apologise.

We moderate the first two posts by any new member to the forum - it's the only effective way to keep spammers at bay. I missed your other message otherwise I'd have authorised it already.

Again - apologies!

Cheers
Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Korrigan

More
8 years 9 months ago #24094 by Korrigan
Just a quick return on the Reed solution:

Adequately waterproof but has to be tight and so not so confortable and more importantly, the aquatherm tissue does not slide well on the gelcoat of the surfski, so the rotation of the body is even harder to do for a beginner.
Attachments:

• kobicohen33
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #24096 by kobicohen33
Replied by kobicohen33 on topic Short waterproof pants?
Looked really uncomfortable, Have you tried them?

More
8 years 9 months ago #24100 by Uncle Frosty
The material is stretchy, so it is comfortable for me. It probably doesn't slide well on gel coat, but as a recreational paddler, that is not a big concern for me.

More
8 years 9 months ago #24102 by Korrigan

kobicohen33 wrote: Looked really uncomfortable, Have you tried them?

Yes I use it, like Frosty said, the material itself is very comfortable, and very good for being not too hot (cooling by instant evaporation) or cold (warm tissue), but as I want waterproofness i took a medium size which is too tight (and not me too fat obviously...).
The following user(s) said Thank You: kobicohen33

More
8 years 9 months ago #24107 by PaddleFaster
A pair of compression shorts could always be worn over the top to give them an improved slip factor against the gel coat.

Latest Forum Topics