Vajda Raptor

More
8 years 10 months ago #23917 by surfski dude
Vajda Raptor was created by surfski dude
Anyone tried the vajda raptor plastic surfski? Is it being sold in the states? Im looking for another plastic type SOT for my local rivers. I've seen the V7 but seems to wide for what I want. Wish they would of made it a little narrower. I prefer 20" or narrower width. Which plastic ski would give the best speed between the V7, Raptor, and cobra surfski? I would put the PRS Fury in the mix but can't get it in the states as of now. I'm assuming the Raptor or cobra ski would give better speed potential do to the 20" Width. I had a ocean kayak sprinter but it was in the 50 lb weight range looking for one with a little less weight. I think the newer plastic skis are around 45 lb range.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23929 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Vajda Raptor
I didn't know Vajda had a plastic ski. Theirs is thermoformed, so (if they got it right) will likely be stiffer and lighter than rotomolded skis.

I found some images and specs here:

www.kajaknord.de/epages/64052669.sf/en_G...ski/Vajda_Raptor_Ski

Has thigh straps, yes! And a "real" hatch cover (looks like Kajak Sport, which are good covers).

But the hull looks a bit sea kayak-ish in the front, so it may not be as fast as it could be if it had a classic surfski shape. And no over stern rudder, it looks like, unfortunately.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23931 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Vajda Raptor
I have pushed on the hull of a v7 and seen some pics of the boat sawed into pieces, which they apparently do periodically in the factory in south africa for quality control. Anyway, the "rotomolded" hull is like no other rotomolded boat I have seen. The hull appears to be at least more than a cm thick. It is two shells of solid plastic with a rigid lightweight polyethlene foam in between them. So it is sandwhich construction, just like modern composite skis. I dont know if this is an epic eclusive technology or if other rotomold manufacturers do it as well, but i have certainly never seen another plastic boat that rigid. I wouldnt lump the v7 in with other rotomolded kayaks as far as weight and rigidity.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
8 years 10 months ago #23932 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Vajda Raptor
Interesting info on the V7 hull being 1cm or thicker. I have not seen that kind of construction. Have seen Valley's and P&H 3-layer sandwich, which also has foam-like core sandwiched between two layers of smooth solid plastic, but these are only perhaps 3-4mm thick at best. Yes, more rigid than similarly sized single layer kayaks, but not lighter. I have not seen the V7 in the flesh, so can't judge it, but have seen plenty of thermoformed kayaks - some good, some not so good in terms of construction quality and rigidity, so it depends a lot on the particular manufacturer's technology and the material quality. Good to have more choices ;)

More
8 years 10 months ago #23934 by surfski dude
Replied by surfski dude on topic Vajda Raptor
If only the v7 had a 20" width or less I would be all over it for my local river races where shallow water and obstacles are a problem. Almost looks wide as my pungo at the seat area. I'm sure it is marketed to people just getting into surfski type boats that's why they made it so wide.

• rhainan
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #23939 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic Vajda Raptor
The V7 is 21.25" wide. The Epic V8 is 22" wide. There is more to speed than just width numbers but considering that the V8 is the most popular ski made, Epic was probably wise to make their first plastic kayak as similar as possible to the V8.

More
8 years 10 months ago #23942 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Vajda Raptor
Hoping that now that Epic knows its on a winner with the V7 they turn their attention to a V10 style plastic for more advanced paddlers wanting something quicker for surf and whitewater paddling.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #23949 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Vajda Raptor
Surfski dude - Think now makes a "river layup" with extra kevlar. Go get yourself a think uno max river layup. Huki will make you a ski with as much kevlar and S glass as you want. The S1-z should have speed a plenty. Or get a Finn Molokai plastic ski. V7 is not designed to win unlimited class races.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by zachhandler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: surfski dude

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #23953 by surfski dude
Replied by surfski dude on topic Vajda Raptor
I will check those out zachhandler. Thanks

Checked the Finn Molokai, I can't find a distributor in the states. Spirit doesn't sell the PRS or Fury here either anymore. Guess I will wait. The Think River layup I'm sure will handle what you can throw at it but I don't want to spend $3200 on a Rock Basher.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by surfski dude. Reason: Just adding a update

More
8 years 10 months ago #23960 by JML
Replied by JML on topic Vajda Raptor
Vadja have released a fitness and recreational range made of Styrolight.
If you are interested in the models you can download the full catalogue, which includes the Raptor, here:

www.fitnesslifestyle.com.au/fitnesspaddl...ia/introduction.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kocho

Latest Forum Topics