Big toe jam in Fenn

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #23489 by Skiwalker
The subject line here is literal - I got my right big toe jammed between the peddles of my XT while mucking about in the surf over the weekend. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

I was doing some ins and outs through the surf (which was a bit big for my 5 months of surfski experience) when I got caught sideways by a wave which broke sooner than expected. I held on with my feet and when the wave passed over my toe was firmly stuck sideways between the peddles... Don't laugh this actually happened... Now with the next wave approaching, stories of leashes snapping in the surf zone came to mind followed by fear and then mild panic when I could not free it quickly. Dropping my paddle I took a deep breath found the handle and foot straps underwater and gripped with all I had. I managed to hold it - relief is an understatement. But my toe was still stuck and held in place by the foot straps - the peddles would not move apart either to free it. To summarise - 3 more waves passed over before I could get the velcro loose and twist it out. Relief again.

Problem 2...I was now separated from my paddle and about 75m out. I could see it only about 5 or 7m away. Not thinking clearly at this stage I decided to chance it, left the boat and swam for the paddle. When I turned the ski was disappearing up the coast like a kite in the wind. Major rookie error (lesson: don't play in the waves when the wind is up unless its on shore). I was now in a big spot of bother until a kind-hearted SUP paddler spotted my predicament and came to my rescue. Relief again. Thanks mate.

I managed a quick remount but had to paddle out through the next set, turned, and then caught a great wave back to the beach which helped ease my brused ego.

As for my brused toe - 2 days later its still swollen with some nerve damage but I'm just happy its not broken. It could have been nasty.

Was this just a once off freek accident or has anyone else had a similar toe-jamming issue with a Fenn? I'm considering grinding the gap between wider to at least 3cm.

1.Fenn XT
2.Think Evo 2
3. ...
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Skiwalker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23490 by [email protected]
That's horrific - never heard of that happening before!

Sounds like a good plan to get the grinder out!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 1 month ago #23500 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Big toe jam in Fenn

robin.mousley wrote: Sounds like a good plan to get the grinder out!

For the toe, or for the boat ? :evil:

More
9 years 1 month ago #23504 by Skiwalker
Replied by Skiwalker on topic Big toe jam in Fenn
:laugh: the toe is useful when turning right so I think I'll keep it. But taking a grinder to my new(ish) ski will be just as painful. Fenn would have fixed it years ago if it was a recognised design flaw so I'm undecided if I'll go through with it... but I really don't want a repeat either. :dry:

1.Fenn XT
2.Think Evo 2
3. ...

More
9 years 1 month ago #23507 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Big toe jam in Fenn
At the risk of sounding like an a$$hol€, I must say I've had a good laugh... What a story !
Never happened to me. I've paddled a few fenns in the surf (reefbreak).
I like to have my feet tightly hold to the footplate, so I usualy shorten the footstrap. I've been a few times dragged by a waves for I couldn't free my feet from the strap. I think I know exactly the kind of fear youd felt that day.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #23588 by Skiwalker
Don't blame you :) Everyone Ive told about the incedent also had a good chuckle.

1.Fenn XT
2.Think Evo 2
3. ...

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #23594 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Big toe jam in Fenn
This little piggy went to market
this little piggy went home
this little piggy had roast beef
and this little piggy had none
and this little piggy went...

@#$%^* THAT HURT!!!!

East coast of Australia, ocean ski in surf

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by AR_convert.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #23596 by Skiwalker
That's dreadful! &$#@! I feel quite ill now.

Was that your toe AR_convert?

Assuming is was, if you don't mind me asking,
how did that happen? ...if it's not too painful to relive the memory.

1.Fenn XT
2.Think Evo 2
3. ...
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by Skiwalker.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #23599 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Big toe jam in Fenn

Skiwalker wrote: That's dreadful! &$#@! I feel quite ill now.

Was that your toe AR_convert?

Assuming is was, if you don't mind me asking,
how did that happen? ...if it's not too painful to relive the memory.

No, I live on the West Coast. These photos came up on a facebook page in New South Wales. The story is that the paddler got caught up in a wave in his ski, dont know the mechanics of how it did the damage.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #23600 by steve
Replied by steve on topic Big toe jam in Fenn
Simple story: Jim was paddling barefoot, steering cable between the toes, took a swim pushing out through a bit of shore break and his 'pinkie' did not exit quite so well from ski. Was early morning, so damage not obvious (hmmm!) until about half hour into training. Initially sort of looked like a torn nail but close up on the beach not so pretty. Too messy to save it so snip.... All good now, just gotta watch the other foot !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skiwalker

Latest Forum Topics