Advice for a new paddler

More
9 years 2 months ago #23254 by Scooter
Hi all

I have recently started learning to paddle a surfski. I've had an introductory lesson with Mocke Paddling in Cape `Town. I have my own ski and have been getting used to it by paddling on flatwater. I can paddle for about half an hour now without falling in. At what point could I consider myself ready to get out into the surf and start learning to catch waves? Where would be a good place to do so in Cape Town without putting myself, my ski or anybody else at risk?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #23256 by [email protected]

Where would be a good place to do so

The warm side obviously, since you'll be falling out in the surf too!

without putting myself, my ski or anybody else at risk?

Start small - Fish Hoek is not a bad place to start. Just be aware that if you come out, your ski is going to go sideways to the beach and will mow down swimmers in the area - but on Fish Hoek beach it's usually pretty easy to find a spot where there are minimal numbers of people in the water.

When I started, I spent a lot of time paddling in Hout Bay, which was great because it's always quite choppy and my learning curve was accelerated. The cold water is also an incentive to remount quickly!

Try to find someone else who is of the same experience to paddle with - it's always good to have someone else for mutual encouragement and incentive!

One way to do that is to chat to the Mockes - they have a social group that paddles on a Saturday morning too.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scooter

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #23263 by Teddy_the_grownup

Scooter wrote: Hi all

I have recently started learning to paddle a surfski. I've had an introductory lesson with Mocke Paddling in Cape `Town. I have my own ski and have been getting used to it by paddling on flatwater. I can paddle for about half an hour now without falling in. At what point could I consider myself ready to get out into the surf and start learning to catch waves? Where would be a good place to do so in Cape Town without putting myself, my ski or anybody else at risk?

I guess it depends on what are you doing when you fall in ? Are you paddling, turning, or just resting ? I have only been paddling myself since December in the Northern Hemisphere and I feel perfectly stable in 1-3 foot swells in my Stellar S18S surf ski. I started out just going in straight lines in the surf. Later, I went to a shallow beach and did 500m loops in the surf zone . You end up falling out a lot but, it helps to learn to do recovery practice in the surf zone. Falling out of a boat means you are either pushing yourself or have some stablity issues. Have you learned how do braces ? Braces are essential for keeping your surf ski upright. Also, working on your core strength will help with balance. Sit ups, crunches, the plank, and balancing on a suise ball help.

S18S stellar ski since 12/14
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by [email protected]. Reason: Fixed up

More
9 years 1 month ago #23306 by Hansie
Replied by Hansie on topic Advice for a new paddler
I've also just started paddling I practise in the surf by going in and out of the surf on a day when the waves are minimal, it also helps if there are life guards on duty at the beach because they generally keep people between the flags so you don't have to worry about hitting people but once your out there it isn't that important because it's easy to see where the people are they often move out the way when they see a surfski coming in

Custom Kayaks Focus
Red7

Latest Forum Topics