clubs and club politics

More
9 years 5 months ago #22254 by Sam_Atlas
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some feedback on how people deal with the club side of surfskiing.

How does your club deals with access to facilities, organizing events, fees, for-profit events and activities, etc.?

For my part, I need a place where I can store my boat and I realize that this comes with accepting the rules of the organization. Yet, I cannot help but notice some disfunction in the club where I am, which is unfortunately souring my taste for the sport.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22258 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic clubs and club politics
Hmmm, no issues & no worries from our club in Fish Hoek.

We pay our subs, get racks and warm showers; all kept clean by a fantastic gentleman who's dedicated his life to maintaining the place (more than just his job, it seems to be his passion).

You want to rent the place for a function, I hear the rates are really good. Want to just hang out in the afternoon, well pull on through.

Sorry its not like this everywhere...

More
9 years 5 months ago #22290 by Crossey
Replied by Crossey on topic clubs and club politics
I came to ski paddling via my local surf club and although the number of people who actually paddled went up and down over time there is great value in having people understand what you're doing as well as having people to train with. The other good thing about a surf club is that it's part of a much larger national and international movement. Having said all that I've been lucky and other than the usual disagreements that happen whenever you get groups of people together the club has been a great place to be.

It's unfortunate if you're part of a club that isn't like that. I guess your options are to stick around and try to make a difference or to find somewhere that isn't so dysfunctional. The right way to go will depend on how badly dysfunctional the club is and what you think your capacity and ability to have an impact is.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22293 by [email protected]
I think here in South Africa, the whole club thing is a lot more casual than, say, in Europe.

Perhaps you can just use the club facilities for storing your boat and form a training group of your own to get away from the club politics?

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• Bermy
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22324 by Bermy
Replied by Bermy on topic clubs and club politics
I had the privilege of living in Perth for 2 years and be part of the IOP (Indian Ocean Paddlers). Awesome coastline, best downwind events, great management and a cross of surf-club participation (and not as elitist as the NBP - they're led by a Major and has a Knight as honorary member. Tough club to get into B) ).

More
9 years 5 months ago #22327 by Simon Haywood
A big shout out to BVI (Bermy) - Christen the S2E this morning - Ski is great - This old engine needs a lot of work! Be sure to pack your paddle for December. If you thought NBP was exclusive - try joining the 'gingernuts'

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bermy

More
9 years 5 months ago #22334 by Lance
Replied by Lance on topic clubs and club politics
Hi
I was storing my boat at DUC but have moved to the Cape. If you are looking for a place, you are most welcome to take over my spot. it was in the blue container where the hobie cats park.
Graeme should be able to give you a key ?

Latest Forum Topics