confidence in your surfski

More
9 years 10 months ago #21726 by berlee
Currently i am in the process of repairing the rails of my surfski. For this i grinded the gelcoat down and was really surprised to see some dents which was filled with plain epoxy or polyester filler. It looked like the not completely dried hull was taken out of the form and a worker applied to much pressure with his thumb to it. The second thing i am a bit disappointed with is, the factory grinded the seam down and used filler to get a smooth and plain surface to have a seamless hull. And you could see where they grinded the seam to far, because there where cracks in the gelcoat.
I think in a 12kg ski they should use some more fibers instead of filler to have a bit more rigid rails who don't crack that easily. And i also think this ski (not this model, only this specific ski) was not sea worthy in the first place and shouldn't have left the factory.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #21727 by Simon Haywood
Berlee, do you have photo's and which brand/model do you refer?

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics