Shark encounters

More
9 years 7 months ago #21669 by Houston Park
Do you have any shark encounters as a Surfski paddler? I have had many large shark encounters paddling off the east coast of South Florida. My playground is their home and I respect them. The latest shark tracking websites like osearch has re-enforced the ever presence of great white sharks migrating up and down the east cost of the United States as well as other migratory patterns around the world of these amazing predators.

Over the last 25-30 years the big shark encounters I have experienced include the great hammerheads measuring close to fifteen feet in length, very curious by the way, the intimidating bull sharks and cautious tigers. In Florida we have many other common sharks to include the reef sharks, lemon sharks and the black tips. Each year the black tip sharks and spinner sharks cruse our coastlines as they migrate by they are photographed from above for their 15 minutes of TV news airtime fame.

What are your encounters and how do you handle these close encounters? Do you feel safe paddling offshore?

HSPIV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #21670 by Crossey
Replied by Crossey on topic Shark encounters
I've had a couple of close(ish) encounters with crocodiles while paddling in the Northern Territory (Australia). Having recently moved a bit further south (Karratha in WA) I'm hoping that I won't be repeating the experience anytime soon.

The closest shark encounter I've had was a couple of weeks ago. The attached photo was, fortunately, taken after I was back on dry land. But the shark was swimming where I had retrieved my ski about 10 minutes before hand.

Talking to some of the locals it was probably the local hammer head that hangs around. The person I was talking to at the time we saw the fin mentioned that he'd seen a fin about the same time the previous week.

It hasn't stopped me paddling and I don't really feel any less safe paddling offshore - I feel a lot safer paddling here, where crocodiles are much less of a risk! I have been launching from different locations which is mostly because of tides but partly (if I'm honest) because of having seen the shark fin.
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Crossey. Reason: spelling and grammer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Houston Park

More
9 years 7 months ago #21675 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Shark encounters
Touch wood we haven't had too many encounters here recently. Here's an article I wrote in 2007:

Sharks and Surfskis

Personally I've had two big sharks (which I suspect were GWs) come and check me out - one I saw, about 3m away from me, the other was spotted by another paddler who saw the fin approach my ski from behind then submerge and go on its way.

And I had a definite GW breach about 200m in front of me, a spectacular sight!

But we just live with them; its their water and 99.9% of the time they know that we're not prey and they ignore us. It's way more dangerous to drive to the beach than to be on the water in my opinion!

I once asked a shark expert what one should do if one spots a shark while paddling. He said something to the effect of, "enjoy the moment, it's a privilege to see them" and I agree with that.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Houston Park, outriggerbev

More
9 years 7 months ago #21678 by outriggerbev
Replied by outriggerbev on topic Shark encounters
hows that shark even staying online with his rudder out of the water

More
9 years 7 months ago #21680 by outriggerbev
Replied by outriggerbev on topic Shark encounters
great article thanks Robin-nb -the shark on dry land does much more damage to humans than the shark in the ocean.

Latest Forum Topics