Wrist tendonitis

• stephenchrisolivier
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #21367 by stephenchrisolivier
Wrist tendonitis was created by stephenchrisolivier
I'm a bit prone to tendonitis when training hard, and have picked it up again. Icing vigorously, wrist stretches, feldene cream etc. I want to avoid anti-inflammatories as they affect my stomach, and can't find a doctor in Scotland who'll give me a cortisone jab. Any thoughts, and any success with ultrasound? Will cut back on training, but that's hard as I've a race coming up...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #21370 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Wrist tendonitis
Maybe check that you are keeping a relaxed grip on the paddle. Technique can fall apart with fatigue too. A coach/knowledgeable training partner can be a big help picking out your faults. A paddle that is too big can cause problems as well.
For what it's worth, those are things that gave me wrist and elbow problems from time to time.
Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stephenchrisolivier

More
9 years 8 months ago #21371 by Bill L
Replied by Bill L on topic Wrist tendonitis
For what its worth, I suffered from this too until I taped my paddle shafts so that I could get a good grip without using the "death-grip", especially in rough seas. Also, perhaps someone could evaluate your stroke to see if something obvious may be causing the problem. Experiment with different feather angles on your blade.

The painkillers, including cortisone, only just mask the symptoms without treating the underlying condition. Perhaps you have tried everything else already so best of luck to you.

• stephenchrisolivier
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #21373 by stephenchrisolivier
Replied by stephenchrisolivier on topic Wrist tendonitis
Thanks guys. I'm 175 cm tall, and am using the same Braca II paddles that I used for the 1998 PE-EL. Don't know the length, but I struggle to wrap my fingers over the top when standing, and can't change the blade angle as they are fixed. I definitely have a death grip on the right. What sort of tape/padding might help?

More
9 years 8 months ago #21374 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Wrist tendonitis
I think you definately need to have some technique coaching, preferably on flat water to start with, and in a boat you feel absolutely stable in. Along with that you need to have the paddle looked at.
I also think you should have an evaluation done of your overall fitness, strength and flexibility. What causes the death grip?
I guess I'm saying you need to save time by going back to square one.
If you are in SA there is lots of competent paddle coaching available.
J.

• stephenchrisolivier
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #21376 by stephenchrisolivier
The death grip on the right seems to be there in cycling as well, maybe as a learned behaviour from many years of paddling that way. In Scotland, and since I left SA I only ever paddle on my own

More
9 years 8 months ago #21378 by Bill L
Replied by Bill L on topic Wrist tendonitis
Search for "paddle" and "tape" on the forum; lots of good ideas, many have their own favorite. Mine is self-fusing silicone tape (also called "emergency tape"), it gives a slightly sticky grip without impeding on the rotating hand. If you use this, use a turn or two of electrical tape on each end of the wrap to keep water from getting under it.

Also, concentrate on loosening your grip on your control hand. While it is natural to grip a bit tighter in the rough, in normal seas, you don't really grip the shaft much - it is more like just holding your curved fingers together as you pull; a soon as the stroke ends, so should the tension on the fingers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stephenchrisolivier, kwhatmough

More
9 years 8 months ago #21386 by Robmobius
Replied by Robmobius on topic Wrist tendonitis
I have switched to a skinnier shaft blade and it has been miraculous. A host of issues have started coming right since the switch. From wrist plain to elbow issues to persistent rotator cuff hassles, including arm pump.

I am so taken with the skinnier shaft that we are looking a creating a specialized range of paddles that will be sold via durbansurfski.com We are still a few months away from being ready. But if you can get your hands on a skinnier paddle then try it. Also a split paddle where u can play with length and feather angle will be a tremendous help.

Carbonology sport in PE and Max Paddle in durban can both supply in the meantime.

More
9 years 8 months ago #21387 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Wrist tendonitis
Interesting Rob, I actually went the other way by using bike bar grip tape that is spongy and made my right side paddle grip larger. Having big hands I felt it was easier to grip and the spongy tape was more forgiving on my forearms in the rough stuff.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
9 years 8 months ago #21388 by Robmobius
So problem solved?

Wrist tendonitis (osis) will be most heavily affected by feather angle. The greater the angle the greater the stress on the wrist joint.

More
9 years 8 months ago #21389 by Robmobius
Sorry AR, did not pay attention to the poster and just assumed u were the original poster.

More
9 years 8 months ago #21399 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Wrist tendonitis
Hi Steve,

Some good advice given alrady, but in my experience the main cause of tendonitis is excessive wrist flexing caused by the feather angle not suiting your paddling stroke.

I suggest you upgrade that old Bracsa II to a new split paddle where you can play with the feather angle. While you're paddling, check to see that your wrist isn't flexing excessively through your stroke.

PS I can't believe you're still using your old PE-EL paddle!

Nigel

• stephenchrisolivier
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #21402 by stephenchrisolivier
Yep, will have a look at a new paddle. Not only am I still using the '98 PE-EL paddle, but despite paddling around 2-3 times per week off the beach in front of the house, I have paddled completely solo since then. I've very occasionally seen a sea kayak in the distance, but that's it! Guess the cold North sea puts a lot of people off...

More
9 years 8 months ago #21403 by Nige
Come back to Richards Bay, I believe the cops have stopped looking for you now! (Just kidding!!)

We did a 26km downwind on Saturday, 5 skis, warm water, 15 knots,and saw humpback whales, dolphins, turtles and flying fish. Very pleasant trip!

Back to topic, get a new paddle and play with the feather and length: you should probably be using a smaller, shorter paddle than you were 16 years ago, we're getting old!

• stephenchrisolivier
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #21404 by stephenchrisolivier
I'll come back when the cops here start chasing me!! Thanks, and keep well. Have a race coming up, so off to physio for the wrist today. Wish I had Deon here for a jova ;)

More
9 years 8 months ago #21416 by coastbouy
Replied by coastbouy on topic Wrist tendonitis
Hey I was wondering if your wrist problems are only on the right side
(most paddles are right control). If it is only on your "control side you might be keeping that hand too low when setting up to stroke on your left side. By raising your control hand up to about the level your shoulder, the wrist does not have to flex as much. Of course adjusting the feather on your paddle can also have a positive effect as well. A lot of the surfski paddlers I know have their paddles feathered at about 60-65 degrees.

I hope this can be of use

Joel

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #21417 by JonathanC
Replied by JonathanC on topic Wrist tendonitis
I'm also prone to tendonitis, particularly elbow but also sometimes wrist. I had a fixed Bracsa 4 set at 60 degrees and had real problems. Bought an Epic small mid wing and backed the angle off to about 35 degrees and it helped enormously. Used to look at my right wrist with the Bracsa and I could never get it straight. I'm sure it was a technique problem but an adjustable paddle is great IMO. I second the silicone tape for grip, perfect grip without tearing your hands apart.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by JonathanC.

More
9 years 8 months ago #21420 by mtnsutton
Replied by mtnsutton on topic Wrist tendonitis
Proper shaft sizing will probably help, tape larger or smaller shaft for smaller hands. The best thing for me was hand strengthening exercises. I use either a balloon with something like play dough in it or a rubber doughnut. These are available at any rock climbing shop. It allows you to strengthen your grip while holding the proper wrist alignment. If you grip is stronger it makes it easier to maintain better wrist alignment while paddling. It also means that even when you are using a light grip it is still firmer on the shaft. I also use fingerless climbing gloves with a leather palm. This provides good grip when they are wet, prevents blistering in fresh water, and prevents the back of my hands from getting sun burned.

Creativity Cures Complacency

• stephenchrisolivier
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #21441 by stephenchrisolivier
Thanks for all the advice. One of the things I'll have to look at is a new paddle. Can anyone give any advice based on the following: I'm 172 cm, train quite hard, paddle between 1-3hrs per session, quite often in choppy conditions, rarely in genuine downwind as there isn't much 'fetch'. I'd ideally want a paddle that is reasonable;y accessible in the UK. Any thoughts would be welcome...

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #21463 by Nige
Hi Steve,

A good start is to use the Epic paddle selector calculator on their website. It's not perfect, but its a useful guide.

You would probably be looking for a split paddle adjustable from 210-215cm (or 205-215cm.) I've found that feather angles vary significantly depending on the paddle, for example I have a Jantex surfski paddle which I use at 60 degrees, but I use 45 degrees on my river paddle (can't remember what make it is.)

The Epic has an oval shaft which may help your tendonitis, and other paddles worth looking at are Jantex and Bracsa(very good but pricy) and Gara or Orka which are the best SA brands. (Hank and many of the top guys here use a Gara.)
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Nige.

Latest Forum Topics