2 Oceans Ultra Marathon vs the Miller's Run

More
10 years 2 months ago #20424 by Ric
With our Two Oceans Ultramarathon on the other day, I found myself doing some maths. For those who don't know, the Two Oceans is a 56km ultramarathon around Cape Town - along the way you get to see the Indian and Atlantic Oceans (more here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Oceans_Marathon)

The record was set in 1988 (Thompson Magawana) and stands at 3hr 3min 44s.

Now the maths: 3:03:44 over 56km is about 18.3km/h.

This man ran at this speed for 56km!

Comparing that to a Miller's Run @ 11.7km gives a projected time of 38:21.

38 minutes 21 seconds! Of surfing downwind. That's a darn fast Miller's! And he ran 56km at that pace... :ohmy:

... something to think about next time I'm chasing a sub 50 ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #20429 by [email protected]
That sure puts it into perspective...

So I think I'd better get over there and go do a Millers Run and think about it!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
10 years 2 months ago #20444 by Marieski
And the Millers Run is downhill. Imagine how much faster he could run the 2 Oceans downhill all the way. Wrecked knees notwithstanding.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

Latest Forum Topics