Video of surfing session

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #20041 by gbowen444
Hi All.

Made a quick video of a surfing session on a small river bar surf break near my place.

The break is called bay surf and is in Port Hacking in Sydney's south. Bit of a grey rainy day, bit heaps of fun.

Hope you enjoy it.

Garry
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by gbowen444.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #20043 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Video of surfing session
Thanks for posting! This video made me feel better!

More
10 years 1 month ago #20045 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Video of surfing session
Try the side remount - I find it more reassuring and stable, as I don't have to lift my center of gravity as high above the rear deck as in the straddle method you used.

More
10 years 1 month ago #20046 by gbowen444
Replied by gbowen444 on topic Video of surfing session

Rod Thomas wrote: Thanks for posting! This video made me feel better!

I hope you mean that because it was a feel good fun video, not because I suck so badly... :-)

I will give the side mount a try. I am used to remounting my spec ski which is much easier and the straddle works OK, but with the deeper bucket on the ocean ski, it is very awkward.

Any paddling tips are very much appreciated too. :-)

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #20047 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Video of surfing session
haha bit of both! I admire your stickability and determination to have fun! You'll probably find the side-saddle (aka girl getting out of a swimming pool) method easier. I do. But if you can get proficient at both remount methods in all conditions, your confidence will grow.

More
10 years 1 month ago #20076 by mtnsutton
Replied by mtnsutton on topic Video of surfing session
The session looked like fun, the remount not so much. I use side saddle or straddle depending on conditions and fatigue level. Straddle works best when you get stable with your paddle across the boat and your nose even with your foot pedals. That way when you sit up your paddle is in a position to brace with. Most of the time :unsure:

Creativity Cures Complacency

More
10 years 1 month ago #20077 by gbowen444
Replied by gbowen444 on topic Video of surfing session
Thanks guys. I hadn't tried the side saddle re-mount as I started on a spec ski and it was so easy to do the straddle. However since moving to the ocean ski with the deep bucket i have found the remounts much harder.

However last weekend I went out and tried and side saddle re-mount and wow! It is so much easier. What was I thinking :-)

Now, if I can just stop falling in altogether.....

Thanks again.

More
10 years 1 month ago #20078 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Video of surfing session
Nice video - looks like good fun on those waves.

Another comment about remounting. Yes, try side-saddle, but in either technique, try to maintain your grip on your paddle.

In that last time you fell out, if you had the paddle in your hands, you may have been able to use it to prevent you from falling. And in the side-saddle mount, I find it particularly useful when both legs over the same side, you can paddle to maintain your balance before finishing the remount.

Hope that makes some sense.

Latest Forum Topics