Need help with Dorado rudder removal.

More
10 years 2 months ago #19970 by gbowen444
Hi All.

A pretty straight forward question, how do I get my Kayak Centre Dorado rudder out? For the life of me I can't remove it.

There is a leak somewhere and I need to remove the rudder to check it out. Looking under the rudder cover, I can see this area has been wet constantly for a long time and everything is pretty corroded so i think the bottom of the rudder pivot/hole is the problem.

I have taken the nut and washer off the threaded piece at the top, but the disk seems to be pretty solid on the threaded rod. Is this just corroded on or is there a trick? I have tried penetrating oil and tapping the top of the rod, but it just won't budge.

Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #19977 by coastbouy
You might try putting the nut back on the threaded shaft and lightly tapping with a small hammer (gently!) to separate the two pieces from one another. Other than that there is some chemistry that could be used to break down the aluminum oxide that has formed because of the contact with the stainless rudder ( and the two parts bathing together in salt water )

good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gbowen444

More
10 years 2 months ago #19979 by antonsa
Try a drop or two of hydrochloric acid (swimming pool acid) - drip the acid so that it attacks the area where the wheel is stuck to the shaft. Work wit care - the acid will eat your skin and clothes - but not the steel shaft or the fiberglass. You will need to replace the rudder wheel - look for a Fenn cross piece or fit an Epic bar to the rudder. Both might require some engineering on the shaft. Could be easier to replace the whole rudder - check inner diameter and length of the rudder tube to find out what will give you the best fit - I think that the Fenn system will fit.

More
10 years 2 months ago #20025 by gbowen444
Hi All.

Just an update to say that after leaving it another day with CRC556 on it, I hit it a little harder and it came off.

The rudder shaft has a square tapered section which wedges into the disk. One decent smack on top of the shaft/nut and it came loose.

Thanks everyone

Latest Forum Topics