Stellar Rudder Pedal issue

More
10 years 7 months ago #19328 by Goldcoastkiwi
I seem to remember reading of some modifications that can improve the Stellar rudder pedal operation.
I am trying to fit an Epic plastic turnbuckle to adjust the footplate / rudder pedal angle, rather than the current knot system.
I have run the rudder cable down to the front of the foot plate adjustment rail...as it is on the Epic ,and fitted the adjuster between them, but it has made the pedals very very stiff( previously it ran forward to the bulkhead where it was held in place at each side by the bungy cord). It has altered the angle that the cable exits from the bottom of the pedals so it now heads downwards slightly , rather than running virtually horizontally.
Has anyone tried this before, or suggest a better way?

Skis past and present : New Epic V10 Ultra, Fenn Swordfish Carbon,
Stellar S2E Excel double, PRS 570 , V8 Club, V10 Sport Club,Stellar S2E Advantage double, Epic V10 Sport Performance, Think EVO II, Fenn Swordfish Vac Glass, Fenn LS, new model Stellar S2E double, Fenn Bluefin S Carbon Hybrid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #19329 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Stellar Rudder Pedal issue
You might try something like this,
I bolted small dinghy jam cleats to the back of the pedals on my V10 and works great - No knots. Then I came up with this idea for my EVO. A double V shaped jam cleat made from a 1/2" nylon coupling cut with a utility knife. See pictures. REAL SIMPLE! Neither one has ever slipped after years of heavy use in ocean. Makes adjusting pedals very simple with no tools. Used heat shrink tubing on the ends to prevent fraying. Much easier than splicing.
My XT is next, don't like the faux stainless steel cables.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Fath2o.

More
10 years 7 months ago #19330 by Kennneee
Replied by Kennneee on topic Stellar Rudder Pedal issue
An extremely simple solution is to take a piece of larger diameter line and tie it between the pedals and the termination on the other end. Tie a taught line hitch or rolling hitch in the larger line on one end and a bowline in the other. You can slide the line knot in either direction to adjust the length and it won't slip. See photo:
picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Dof-vjRxXW...XktQ?feat=directlink

Cheers,

Ken

More
10 years 7 months ago #19331 by Kayaker Greg
I first replaced the line that was on my earlier SES with the same line that the Thinks use as well as the later SEL. Then I removed the line from the pedals, got a small rubber oring and ran the line through it three times, pulled the line straight and the oring is now wrapped around the line three times, slide it along to the cockpit end of the pedals. Run the line through the top hole in pedals, back around to the front and run it through the bottom hole, back around to the front, under itself and back through the middle hole, then put another oring on the line in the same way as before behind the pedals and the middle hole. This makes adjusting the lines to a minute amount very simple, just slide the oring a few mm or whatever it needs and they don't slip combined with the friction through the pedals. I tie a simple half hitch behind the oring at the back as added security but probably not needed and easy to undo as needed with this line.

Then on my SES where I want sharp turning with my small rudder in flat water I tie the remaining cord into a loop of which I attach a small amount of bungy cord and run through the front bungy that is mounted on the forward cockpit, this allows self centring with sharp turning and light steering.

On my SEL which I use in bigger conditions with a bigger rudder I just tie off the line at the back of the pedals and run a bit of elastomer in the rear rudder housing to create self centring and a firmer feel as I have also made a bean bag and cover for use in bigger conditions to reduce cockpit water volume so don't want any lines going forward to get in the way when using that system.

The orings probably might need to be replaced once a year, we will see.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #19332 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Stellar Rudder Pedal issue
Any pics of those Greg, especially first paragraph?

Confess I got a bit "chalice from the palace and vessel with the pestle" .. What the..? (Haha you only need minute.
).

Lord, only posted the link and the whole clip appeared. Oh well..
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Watto.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #19333 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Stellar Rudder Pedal issue

Watto wrote: Confess I got a bit "chalice from the palace and vessel with the pestle" .. What the..?

But where is it, if it isn't where it wasn't?

Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by sAsLEX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto

More
10 years 7 months ago #19336 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Stellar Rudder Pedal issue
Too Funny! Spit my morning coffee out laughing.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19646 by Kayaker Greg
Here you go Watto, you should be able to view this album of the detail you requested even if you don't have a Face Book account, only just got the SES down from the ceiling for the first time in over a month, hence the late reply.

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.568409...&type=1&l=16e826f577
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto

Latest Forum Topics