Surfski Weight Reduction

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #18050 by foundwood
I know this may seem like basic knowledge to most of you, but I was always curious as to how much weight I was taking on in chop and surf from water in the footwell. Here is my suggestion for cutting water weight:

Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by foundwood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fearless, Pleuston, seamonkey, GSPT, jrmac

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18051 by Kayaker Greg
Nice work, often thought about doing something similar, however I carry my water bladder in the foot well so would need to do something different. Have thought about fitting polystyrene up the sides around the bladder but not sure what sort of glue would be needed that won't dissolve polystyrene. Its amazing how much a full bucket of water slows you down until it clears.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18054 by foundwood
Replied by foundwood on topic Surfski Weight Reduction
Kayakergreg: I used to keep my bladder in that void as well on my V10 but the plug acts as a shelf so I just lay it on there and use the bulkhead bungees to secure it. This setup just makes me feel more comfortable knowing that I am not pulling dead/live weight along.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18056 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Surfski Weight Reduction
Why did you stop at that level? Water must still sit on top of the plug a bit?

More
10 years 7 months ago #18057 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Surfski Weight Reduction

Kayaker Greg wrote: Nice work, often thought about doing something similar, however I carry my water bladder in the foot well so would need to do something different. Have thought about fitting polystyrene up the sides around the bladder but not sure what sort of glue would be needed that won't dissolve polystyrene. Its amazing how much a full bucket of water slows you down until it clears.

Could you make a hollow plug out of similar material....

Attachments:

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #18058 by foundwood
sAsLEX: This height was the maximum thickness of microcell foam that I have at this time. I plan on stacking another piece on top of it in order to displace more water above the track height. This size plug was easier to shape and film, and represent the volume with a bag of water.

Greg: Yes, absolutely a piece can be made out of polystyrene, cut in half, hollowed out, coated with watertight finish and act as an insulated bladder holder. This would work quite well in your V10.

It was my intention to begin a dialogue with this video, and I appreciate your thoughtful responses.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by foundwood.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18059 by Kennneee
Replied by Kennneee on topic Surfski Weight Reduction
That is a great idea. On my Stellar SEL there is a lot of space in front to the pedals that holds a lot of water. Since I paddle alone in cold water a lot, I keep a small dry bag with some warm cloths, snacks, etc. for an emergency. It is light weight and fills the space nicely.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18060 by foundwood
Kenneee: anything that will displace water, doesn't weigh too much, and will stay in place will do the job. I like your idea of stowing a survival kit in the footwell.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18063 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Surfski Weight Reduction

Kayaker Greg wrote: Nice work, often thought about doing something similar, however I carry my water bladder in the foot well so would need to do something different. Have thought about fitting polystyrene up the sides around the bladder but not sure what sort of glue would be needed that won't dissolve polystyrene. Its amazing how much a full bucket of water slows you down until it clears.

Duct Tape B)

Or you can use an empty box of protein powder that can double as a waterproof compartment to store safety equipment like 1 or 2 flares. If you're not worried about safety you can also use it like I do : fill this box with water to add some weight for a little resistance training and empty it in a few seconds when you're done...

More
10 years 7 months ago #18073 by boss
Replied by boss on topic Surfski Weight Reduction
I know it sounds a bit crude, could you use a bladder from chautea carboard 5 litre of wine? Put into place and then inflate ? might try this when I get home in a couple of weeks. You probably need to be an aussie to understand that.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18074 by foundwood
boss: The problem we all have is how to keep the plug from floating up and out of the footwell. I used the pressure of the footplate to compress the foam slightly and hold it in place, and failing this, I have the bottom edge of the plate track.

I am sure there are a lot of creative ways to displace water, but yours has the potential for both alcohol-induced bliss and responsible recycling.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18075 by Schravesande
Boss. This is what I have used for some time. Put the bladder in, blow it up and close the tap. This wedges the bladder in quite tightly. I have tied shock cord above the bladder and put my drinking bottle under the cord and on top of the bladder. This also holds the bladder in place. works well.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18076 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Surfski Weight Reduction
I'm not really sure all the effort and extra weight (although very small) is worth it. In reality, you go through the surf zone once in a session or race, and come back through it once. Once out the back, if you are broaching so much that you are filling your foot well over and over to warrant filling the cavity then you are doing something wrong. Even in big downwind, the water extraction system on your ski should be more than adequate to remove any water which may wash into the foot well while surfing.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18080 by Davidw
Replied by Davidw on topic Surfski Weight Reduction
I have a Custom Kayaks Focus and while I really enjoy the speed and stability it offers I do find the low rails make it prone to taking in loads of water when going upwind in rough, choppy conditions.
Then I am always paddling with a bucket of water in the footwell. This would seem a good solution.
Anyone know where I can get some of this foam in or around Cape Town?

More
10 years 7 months ago #18081 by Kayaker Greg
You could try one of your kayak shops, I know here in NZ that some kayaks come delivered from the manufacturer with 100mm thick foam blocks acting as a brace between the hull and the top of the cockpit.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18092 by sylv1
Replied by sylv1 on topic Surfski Weight Reduction

Davidw wrote: I have a Custom Kayaks Focus and while I really enjoy the speed and stability it offers I do find the low rails make it prone to taking in loads of water when going upwind in rough, choppy conditions.
Then I am always paddling with a bucket of water in the footwell. This would seem a good solution.
Anyone know where I can get some of this foam in or around Cape Town?

at home , where everything it's hard to find, on my Focus I used 2 swimming plank for kids attach together with bicycle tube, to reduce the free volume and maintain my bottle in front of my feet.
It work well.

• GSPT
  • Level 2 Personal Trainer and surf coach
More
10 years 7 months ago #18093 by GSPT
Replied by GSPT on topic Surfski Weight Reduction
How helpful was that? I'll be doing this, for sure. Thanks.

Greg Smith
Level 2 PT and surf coach
Paddling Technician
S.Africa marathon 79, 81, 83

Latest Forum Topics