Down winding in Melbourne

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #18039 by JonathanC
It's been really windy in Melbourne lately, last Friday was 30 knots with gusts over 40. Here is a little vid I made. And a video my buddy DJ made on the same day, I either paddle my V10s or a SUP when we go. Lucky to have such great conditions 2k from home! DJ is turning the paddling videos into a genre....

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by JonathanC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #18040 by JohnK
Replied by JohnK on topic Down winding in Melbourne
Hi Jonathon,
Nice runs on both boats. I was wondering if that is your leg lease attached to the elastic behind you. If can be cumbersome in front.
cheers
John

More
10 years 8 months ago #18044 by JonathanC
Replied by JonathanC on topic Down winding in Melbourne
Hi John,
I actually attach my leash onto my pfd. I have rigged up a stainless steel snap shackle securely to the pfd, on the end of the leash there is a rope loop which I clip onto the snap shackle.
I have a small length of rope with a rope ball on it that releases the snap shackle. A quick release if ever I had to let the ski go.
You can buy all these bits at a good yachting shop.
The whole thing works really, just never have to think about the leash being in the way.
Cheers, Jonathan

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #18045 by JonathanC
You only need quite a small snap shackle, mine seems tiny but good quality marine ones have very high load ratings.

Attachments:

More
10 years 8 months ago #18046 by JohnK
Replied by JohnK on topic Down winding in Melbourne
Thanks Jonathon,
So your pfd is from the pfd to the elastic? I'll give this a try. It could be just the trick.
John

More
10 years 8 months ago #18047 by JonathanC
Hi John, there is a webbing strap on the side of the pfd, rope through that permanently fixed to the snap shackle. Works like a beauty, even a couple of times when I've come out in big swell, keeps your legs free which is much safer IMO.

More
10 years 8 months ago #18048 by EK Sydney
Replied by EK Sydney on topic Down winding in Melbourne
Wow, the SUP video in particular is the best of it's kind I've seen. It shows you how an elevated camera position gives perspective on the shape of the sea. Thanks for posting.
Mark.

More
10 years 8 months ago #18049 by chucktheskiffie
Interested in the SUP - looks pretty cool! Which type is it?

More
10 years 8 months ago #18052 by JonathanC

chucktheskiffie wrote: Interested in the SUP - looks pretty cool! Which type is it?

It's a Naish Glide 14'

Great thing about SUP is the real feeling of moving around on the board and actually surfing, a little slower than the ski but in big winds just so much fun.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #18053 by JonathanC

EK Sydney wrote: Wow, the SUP video in particular is the best of it's kind I've seen. It shows you how an elevated camera position gives perspective on the shape of the sea. Thanks for posting.
Mark.

My buddy DJ puts a lot of time into making camera mounts and then editing his movies, he is the 'master'! If you would like to see more go to his vimeo account.

vimeo.com/user3729103

He also has videos of cycling off road, motorbikes, and windsurfing. I'm going to borrow one of his mounts soon and put it on the front of the ski, they are all made from PVC pipe and he uses gopro's. Simple ingredients but lots of experimenting.

More
10 years 8 months ago #18055 by JonathanC
And another great day on Sunday, gusts over 40knots!

More
10 years 7 months ago #18062 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Down winding in Melbourne
So you clip the snap shackle on the bungy that's on the deck behind the seat ? I would be worried : Your shackle may have a high load limit but I would not trust the bungy.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18069 by JonathanC

Hiro wrote: So you clip the snap shackle on the bungy that's on the deck behind the seat ? I would be worried : Your shackle may have a high load limit but I would not trust the bungy.

Ok, 3mm rope around the star stud thingies that hold the bungee - both tied off so if one fails the other one is there as a back up. Surfing leg rope properly fixed to the 3mm cord. Other end of the coiled leg rope finished with a rope loop.

The snap shackle is fixed to the pfd as described above, when paddling the snap shackle clips onto the loop on the end of the coiled leg rope. Leg rope stays attached to the ski.

I wouldn't trust the bungee either :unsure: Did you see the conditions I was paddling in?? Ski gets away out there in winter it's not good....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

More
10 years 7 months ago #18071 by JML
Replied by JML on topic Down winding in Melbourne
Here is another solution that we have developed with a quick release coil which can be attached to either a calf leash or body belt.
Another version is being developed at present which will run from the bungee cords at the back of the paddler and attach to a carry handle or similar fitting on the rudder cover. This allows the paddler to get behind the ski to swap sides or follow the ski into shore from behind it, whilst still attached (if desired). A photo of that set up will be available on the site shortly.
www.fitnesspaddlers.com.au

Latest Forum Topics