Shooting pain up front shin to the right?

More
10 years 11 months ago #16715 by Cayman Ski
Hi Guys,

been paddling quite regulary these days.
I have developed a shooting pain just right of my shim bone. It's getting progressively worse. Any idea what it is and what can I do about it?

Thanks again,
Chris.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16729 by nell
Could be a pinched/irritated nerve, i.e. sciatica. Sounds like L5 distribution?Google "dermatome".

If so, might try to change your seating position a bit, try another ski to see if that solves it. Also look at what other exercises / weights, seats etc that you're using and which might be irritating your low back, gluts, hamstrings.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16730 by Physio
Since right doesn't tell us which side as you didn't say which leg. Cld be tibialis ant pain from pulling back on yr foot, or big toe flexor if yr push yr rudder with it, or as suggested nerve or compartment issue if holding any of the muscles tense. Or a number of other things

More
10 years 11 months ago #16740 by Ranga
What ski are you using?

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16758 by Cayman Ski
Yip, you were right, my set up was incorrect. The pain is on my right leg, right of my shin, all the way up and down. I think the footings were too far away from me. Went this morning and it was much better. What would be the best lay up be? A fist under the knee... I paddle a swordfish.

Thanks guys.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Cayman Ski.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16764 by nell
A fist under the knee doesn't apply to all skis but it's a rough starting place. In general aim to have your footboard as far forwards as you can while still being able to maintain good forefoot and heel pressure on the footboard. If that doesn't solve the issue, try a seatpad. After that - maybe ski with a different seat bucket shape.

Latest Forum Topics