Anyone using a stand up paddleboard (SUP)?

More
10 years 11 months ago #16672 by jsowers
Was wondering if anyone is an SUP fan. My daughter is, and she thinks us surfskiers are missing the boat. I'm not sure what an SUP offers over a ski or why I would want to spend the time to become a proficient paddle boarder. Anyone on the forum do both?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16676 by kayakchampeen
I once made the mistake of becoming competent enough on an SUP to become an instructor. I have since come to realize that these things are a an utter pestilence. They don't go anywhere fast, nor do they surf for shit. Typically, in the ocean they represent nothing but a danger to everyone out there. The best that can be said about SUP is that it's a good workout, but then again, so is prison. I'd rather own a "fishing kayak". Encourage your daughter to take up the challenge and get a ski. Or learn how to surf.
And that's how I really feel
The following user(s) said Thank You: Newbflat

More
10 years 11 months ago #16690 by CyberSki
Kayakchampeen - I was going to post "Now why don't you really tell us how you feel?" - but then saw that you covered that with your last sentence. Too funny!! :laugh:

I found a SUP board to have poor directional control, reacted to beam waves far too much, and slow. I even contemplated the traditional prone paddleboard (unlimited class) at 18 feet plus and 19 inch beam but couldn't find any out on this coast to try. Also, the thought of "digging holes with my hands" in 10 miles of ocean to be more of a challenge than I wanted. See video link:

Fenn Swordfish and Epic Midwing.

Past skis include Stellar SR and SEL, KC Zeplin, Think EVO, and in-between version of Epic V8 Ultra. Jantex Gamma is my sword of pain..though my elbow may force me to a smaller blade now. :-(

More
10 years 11 months ago #16691 by AR_convert
I got one and quickly realized they are great for just cruise'n on a calm day to chill out. Tried surfing one day and gave up trying to use the paddle to get onto a wave, dropped the paddle on the beach and just used it like a Mal surfboard, much more fun ;)

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
10 years 11 months ago #16693 by jsowers
Thanks all for the responses, reinforced my suspicions. Champeen that was a hoot! I'm surrounded by water but surfskiing almost 15 years locally have come across a grand total of on other person out on a ski (a beginner on an ancient spec ski). But almost overnight SUPs are flooding the waterways which made me wonder. I think this reflects lower barriers to entry SUP vs ski, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on massive SUP fun.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16694 by foundwood
I tried paddling SUP's twice and I cannot imagine why a surfski paddler would want something so incredibly slow and unsatisfying.

I can understand their explosion in popularity in my area of Southeastern, NC. Almost every surf shop and outfitter for 200 miles sells SUP's. They are trendy and look cool and if you have never paddled a kayak, then they are the new introduction to paddlesports. I have caught and passed professional paddle boarders after the start of a 12 mile race around Wrightsville Beach, NC. I was paddling a V8 in performance layup, and they were on $4,000 carbon boards.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by foundwood.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16705 by Marieski
Gotta go against the flow here.

I got into SUPs because I couldn't hire skis/and or transport them when away from home. That remains the case.

They offer something different to surfskis, so you guys who scoff that they're slow are totally missing the point.

I use them to do something different, while still being similar enough to keep up the paddling fitness, especially with a paddling overuse injury. When I was having trouble with my wrists and forearms, I would do half ski, half SUP over a session.

The stance is so much more open, not only to do with not being 90 degrees at the hips. I will often, if feeling cramped and exhausted after a long or hard ski paddle, get on the board to loosen and straighten everything out and more often than not, find myself on the water another 40 minutes.

A ski, given a certain sea state, will only do one thing. On a SUP you have the ability to paddle in different stances and different places on the board as well as different ways to use the sea, the obvious one being surfing.

On still days, it is a fantastic platform to watch underwater sea life. Like snorkeling without getting wet. I had a ski for 2 years before I had a SUP and never saw a fraction of the stuff I can see from the board. The extra height and angle makes all the difference.

Ski paddling for me can only be done with at least solid effort. It just doesn't lend itself to going slowly. Whereas on the SUP I can totally knock myself out paddling as hard as possible (on the flat or in waves) or dawdle along watching the stingrays and the squid and the octopi and the wrasse and the gulls and terns and cormorants and gannets. Not to mention seals and dolphins. This gives me the most wonderful sense of contentment. Being on the water is freedom from the everyday world but standing on the water feels free from gravity.

As the other posts show, it's not for everyone. For the rest of you, don't knock it till you've tried it.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
10 years 11 months ago #16707 by EK Sydney
I'm with Marieski, I have one that I use on calm mornings on the bay, usually once a week. I do a 60 minute, 6km paddle and my effort levels equal those on my ski over the same timeframe (I just go twice as far on my ski…).
It also burns my guts, a really good core workout for both the stroke action & the balance.
I paddled past the guys doing the Hawkesbury Classic on them with some degree of admiration, clipping along at about 7kmh on the long marathon boards. I think the fastest guy came home in just under 13 hours, some effort.
If I had to choose between the ski & the SUP it'd be no conest, ski paddling has a lot more to offer, but I enjoy my calm paddles as a change of pace that offers some good cross training benefits.

• AndyN
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #16708 by AndyN
Marieski, youre right, I've played around on SUP's in mellow surf conditions and they are great fun. Very socialable way of enjoying the ocean.
They definitely have there place and if that was the only option I would take it in a heartbeat.

But I would always rather be paddling a ski or K1 as for me the exercise benefits and enjoyment levels are higher, not to mention the efficiency of the paddling position.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16710 by Hiro
... and there's no room for a cooler on a ski B)

More
10 years 11 months ago #16717 by jsowers
Appreciate the additional opinions. More fodder to ruminate over.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16721 by Boof Head
Had some down time with the paddling due to tendon issues so I built a sup. Have only taken it out a couple of times. Good workout that doesn't interfere with the dodgy tendons but definitely won't replace my ski paddling.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Boof Head.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16800 by kiwial
First of all let me say that there has not been a time in my life that I have not been involved in or surounded by Kayaking/Surf Ski.
I have tried very very hard to like SUP as I sell them in our family retail store and when comparing it to ski in conditions the ski is made for the ski wins hands down, but for family paddles the SUP is where it is at for sure. Obviously stand up surfing has its own niche and Ski can't compete there, unless you are on a wave ski but I find them awkward and clumsy. Go for a SUP with your daughter and enjoy that time together on the water, yes it is very cool at the moment and that is probably why your daughter enjoys it (I am sure that it is why my daughter likes it) but if you are like me any way I can spend time in/on the water with my wife an kids I am totally down for.
Have fun and be safe

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16827 by Tecpartner
I love to paddle Standup. I also love to paddle my ski. They are very different, and each has it's advantages.

SUP:
Better perspective, since you're standing up; you can see more.
Faster to get out on the water
Easier to transport, (generally)
More races in my area.
Easier to find rentals when traveling
More hot women in bikinis (personal preference).

Ski:
Faster
More exclusive
Few thrills match a good downwind run.
It's fun to smoke Sea kayakers

They both get you out out on the water, and both give you a good workout. In my opinion they offer complimentary cross training.

I'd rather be paddling....

Think EVO II
Epic V10S
Nelo 520
Epic V8
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Tecpartner.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16831 by sAsLEX

kiwial wrote: Go for a SUP with your daughter and enjoy that time together on the water

Or just go out at the same time on your ski, practice sprints and remounts or just cruise alongside, still spending time with family and still enjoying the ski!

Tecpartner wrote: More hot women in bikinis (personal preference).

I have found balance can be very hard when there are so many distractions around, especially string bikinis where a double or triple take is required....

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16833 by Kocho
I've had an inflatable SUP for some years now - always take it with me on travel. The kids love it (the smaller ones use it as a pool toy, the older ones paddle it)! I have also used it several times as a platform to get out to the reefs, where I anchor it and go snorkeling - my buddies and I could not swim out there against the strong current, but with the SUP it was easy (plus it is a bit of a life raft/added safety).

Two weeks ago I tried a short (under 6 foot) true whitewater play river SUP (Badfish) on the local river spot where white water kayakers surf. I was with my whitewater kayak surfing as I usually do and we swapped with the SUP-er guy. So much fun! These thing practically surf themselves on that wave. Just don't fall off it on a shallow rock (I did that a couple of years ago off my inflatable and for months could not sit on my tailbone).

SUP is just different - shorter workouts seem better suited for it, though someone recently completed the Everglades Watertribe challenge on a SUP - something like 3 days non-stop, pretty much...
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Kocho.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
9 years 8 months ago #21230 by photofr
I have been on surfskis for more than two decades, but just started SUP about a month ago. Here's my take on it:

The most important thing for me was (and still is) the cross training. Since I don't believe in constantly using the same muscle groups, I find that my SUP gives me a great workout on my legs, and different parts of my back.

After using a SUP, I tend to drive more with my legs - the second I get back on a ski. My speed always increases the next day.

Speed is very relative. I'd say that most SUP for "beginners" are going to be inadequate tools for going fast. I use a somewhat long board (14') and not too wide (27") - average speed on a 34km course is 7km/h.

Every time I get on a ski, I feel the need to go fast. I am relaxed, I love it, and I enjoy the workout very much - I also enjoy the long distance that a surfski can bring me closer to…

On the other hand, the SUP brings me closer to peace on the water, photography, long distance (at slower pace), and bring a new dimension to carrying fins and mask on board. Camping on my SUP is "too easy".

I love surfing… BUT surfing on my race board isn't fun - at all.
A good surf SUP is going to be so slow on long distance paddling that I simply stay away from that aspect. Downwind is a different story: average speed of 9km/h on a SUP (instead of 13km/h on a SS) - but still way fun & super challenging.

For me, surfskis aren't as friendly for photographers - but I would never get raid of my surfski.

Upwind sucks on a SUP - I am now getting a lot faster going upwind, but it's still ridiculously slow in 35 knots of wind.

Without a doubt, the surfski seems to be king when it comes to:
- going far and fast - and getting there in a hurry
- more symmetrical workout on the body
- getting out of harms way in a hurry (huge boat coming at you on a windy day)

SUP excels in:
- transporting stuff
- accessing stuff in a hurry
- seeing more
- excellent full-body workout
(not to mention storage and ease of transport)

Let's not forget that they are very different sports - even if they use a paddle for propulsion. It's like comparing road biking with downhill biking (the last one requires a full face helmet, and tons of protection gear).

Saying that one of those sucks is going to be very personal.
Using the right equipment during the right conditions will help in making it suck a little less.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
9 years 8 months ago #21232 by Fath2o
Yeah, There awesome!

Girls in bikinis I mean.

Latest Forum Topics