Rear Deck Flexy?

• wang
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #16427 by wang
Rear Deck Flexy? was created by wang
Hey guys,
Very basic question. I'm not very familiar with the general construction of surfskis.

I just got a mako millenium, and the rear deck is very flexible. It pushes in with very little pressure all the way back to the tail. Also, when viewing it in the light, it is not smooth but rather slightly bumpy/wavy.

Is this normal for a surfski? It is a carbon millenium, so I was thinking this might just be how they normally are being made so lightweight.

Thanks for the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16435 by Love2ski
Replied by Love2ski on topic Re: Rear Deck Flexy?
Hi wang
The fenns can be wavy and bumpy on the deck from my experience. Also there can be an indent where the foam attaches

More
10 years 11 months ago #16437 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Rear Deck Flexy?
The rear deck on ski's and kayaks is a great place to save weight, unless you are climbing over them a lot, its the hull that needs the strength, I have kayaks that have a flexy rear deck, its never been a problem and as I say, its a great place to save weight.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16439 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic Re: Rear Deck Flexy?
I would be very worried as the back deck does take a lot of load when going through a wave. I sounds like the stringer is missing or collapsed. It definitely needs to be stiff just aft of the seat.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16440 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: Rear Deck Flexy?
Not sure I agree with you Kayaker Greg , the deck may be built lighter , BUT needs to have stiffness. If the deck is flexy the stress will concentrate at the seam. IMHO the structural integrity of the deck plays a big part in the strength of the hull. Also it seams to me that flex (esp. the "soft" nature of the composite descriped by the OP ) is the first step down the road of composite degradation , ESPECIALLY with the light weight construction of modern surf skis. I used to think some flexibility was good in terms of absorbing "hits" , while there maybe some truth to this in heavier laminate construction ( "expedition layup" sea kayaks , of which I have had a few) , in the ultralight construction of surf skis the flexing equates to degradation of the composite.My last ski (an infusion core Vacuum FG )started to get "flexy" soft spots that seemed to start appearing in multiple spots. I am guessing that once the flexing starts larger failure is around the corner. Sadly the lighter layups we all know and love don't last forever. To the OP , guessing the deck of your ski was stiffer when new and you may see the flexy train keep on chugging. Recently saw an older carbon boat that was as squishy as a beatup rotomolded WW boat. The Good news is that it seems the laminate technology and application in surf ski construction continue to improve. Before we know it it's gonna be all about the pre peg/ super core / vacuum bag / autoclave surf ski , course we'll be paying for it too !

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16443 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re: Rear Deck Flexy?

wang wrote: Is this normal for a surfski?

I suppose it is normal for surfski of that vintage that's probably has high usage stress and or repairs.

If it was a new ski then what you have said would be abnormal. :laugh:
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by superted.

• wang
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #16445 by wang
Replied by wang on topic Re: Rear Deck Flexy?
Hmm, so it sounds like it didn't used to be like this but it has gotten soft over time?

The hull and front of the boat are solid. It's only the rear deck...it is soft, I mean like, I can push it in easily with my pinky finger alone. But it is like that evenly and throughout the entire rear til the rudder box. It is stiff in the direct center of the middle, where I can feel the stringer.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16791 by 7ender
Replied by 7ender on topic Re: Rear Deck Flexy?
Just saw this. I think there are multiple versions of the millenium- mine in particular weighs a bit more but the rear deck is stiff.

I have seen a friends however, that is exactly as you described. His is also lighter than mine (it is not vac bagged).

Both are carbon and in very good condition (ie no high usage or repairs) so I have a feeling there were just a couple different ways they were manufactured.

Latest Forum Topics