Newbie Seeks Advice

More
11 years 7 months ago #13160 by noacktexas
Hello All,

I have been paddling off and on for several years, and have just now decided to try canoe/kayak racing. I live in Texas, so, the racing im talking about would be primarily river racing. I am looking for a surf ski to run the river races on the Colorado river (which for the most part is really smooth, no rapids).

I am looking for recommendations for a good starter ski. I would be transitioning from touring Kayaks/Canoes to a surf ski. I am 6' 235 lbs (Yes, im a big guy). I am looking for both speed and stability. I am willing to put up with some swimming lessons if I could "grow into" a faster less stable ski.

Looking at Wesley's chart, a Mako or Stellar looks like it would be a possible choice?

Just looking for recommendations from you experts :)

And, no I have never been on a surf ski before :)

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13165 by SDisle07*
Replied by SDisle07* on topic Re: Newbie Seeks Advice
Any of the 19" wide skis would work like the
Think Evo, Huki S1R, Epic sport or Fenn XT.

You may want to consider a kick up rudder system instead of the standard rudder set up since you are paddling on rivers. The kick up rudder is installed on the back end of the ski and can be raised to get over logs and other objects or situations where you are in shallow water (sand bars. boat ramps, etc...) Keep in mind that skis are FRAGILE due to thier construction material and are easily damaged by rocks, tree stumps, concrete boat ramps, or any other hard material.

Other stable skis to look into are the Think "Eze" and the Epic V8.

You will want to get a "wing" paddle as well.

Hope this info helps - Jon

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #13172 by DougMar
Replied by DougMar on topic Re: Newbie Seeks Advice
If you're paddling at least three times a week, you should try placing seat pads under your bum, or raise your seat by one inch increments or so, in your current kayak. If your kayak is about 20 inches in Beam overall, 2.5"-3" over stock seat height will make your boat's stability approximate to an elite ski.
Any beamier than that, and over three inches in seat height will most likely get you close to the feel of a ski's transverse stability. After you become comfy with the (lack of) stability at an elevated seat height in the conditions that you will be using a ski, go try on a real elite-level ski. You will be amazed at what you can do. Don't fool around and waste time with the intermediate skis. Especially if you have racing as a goal. It will take you only a few weeks of paddling to get accustomed to the reduced stability if you gradually increment the seat height. Trying to jump right into a tippy ski without gradual acclimation may cause you problems and frustration.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by DougMar.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13187 by noacktexas
Replied by noacktexas on topic Re: Newbie Seeks Advice
Thanks Jon and Doug!

What do you guys think about Spirit PRS skis ? There is one for sale down here.
I didnt see that ski on Wesley's chart unfortunately (unless I missed it).

I agree with you Doug, I would really prefer something faster that I can grow into, instead of spending money on a beginner ski, and just end up selling it.

Latest Forum Topics