Paddle and GPS watch

More
11 years 11 months ago #11376 by AshSki
Paddle and GPS watch was created by AshSki
G'day,

I'm just wanting to see what recommendations/reviews people had for a new paddle and GPS watch I'm thinking of getting.
Currently I'm using a Epic paddle which is a few years old for some downwind and flat water paddling in Perth Australia.

Let us know what your thoughs are guys!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11378 by water2deep
Replied by water2deep on topic Re: Paddle and GPS watch
I have been using the timex run trainer . its one of the few water resistant(50m) gps watches out there, and its way cheaper than the 50m resistant garmins.
but it is targeted for runners, so you get more multisport options with the garmins.

I have been using mine for multisport races and I get up to 8 hours run time. when I jump off the ski onto the bike or run I hit the lap button , so its easy to track splits if thats what you want.

you could also consider the mobii, it looks like a jammed packed with function little unit.

www.timex.com/Run-Trainer-GPS-Health-Fit...hop-Now/b/3092474011

www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/11/timex-run-tr...in-depth-review.html

More
11 years 10 months ago #11586 by arminius
Replied by arminius on topic Re: Paddle and GPS watch
I used to use a Garmin 310xt and that was brilliant beacuase the screen is viewable when you have it strapped to the footstrap and the custom fields make it easy to see HR, speed, distance and stopwatch on a single screen. I switched to the new Suunto Ambit after my 3rd replacement Garmin 310xt (once again) showed random speed readings.

The Suunto is an impressive piece of equipment and great if you do multi sport. Unfortunately you can only see 3 fields at one go.

All up, the Garmin 310xt is probably the best paddling watch and pretty cheap too (in the bigger scheme of things)

Another perfect day in paradise. A bit of sun, a bit of rain and it's not even lunch time.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #11667 by Nat Bradford
Agree with the other posters here for the most part - DC Rainmaker's site is the best place to get independent advice for mulitsport reviews of GPS watches.

For paddle-specific use, I've recently tested the Garmin 310XT, the Garmin 910XT and the new Suunto Ambit back-to-back.

Garmin 910XT is the winer, for now :) - the Ambit will be awesome once they tweak it.

Check out the reviews:

sydneysurfski.com/suunto-ambit-review/

sydneysurfski.com/garmin-310xt-vs-garmin-910xt/

sydneysurfski.com/garmin-910xt-review-update/

Cheers, Nat
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by [email protected]. Reason: Fixed the URLs

More
11 years 10 months ago #11947 by arminius
Replied by arminius on topic Re: Paddle and GPS watch
I switched from the 310XT to the Ambit a month ago and really like the Ambit as I can wear it as my regular watch which I could never do with the 310XT or 910XT without looking like a Star Trek fan. The latest Ambit firmware update (1.5) adds a lot of navigational features but it still lacks the ability to see more than one field in large font and it also lacks the 310/910's ability to cycle through screens which are really handy when you are paddling

Another perfect day in paradise. A bit of sun, a bit of rain and it's not even lunch time.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12231 by grmas1
Replied by grmas1 on topic Re: Paddle and GPS watch
Has anyone tried the Globalsat GH-625M? For under $200 is seems too good to be true.
Anyone?

Grant
Ski Paddler Newbie

More
11 years 9 months ago #12237 by grmas1
Replied by grmas1 on topic Re: Paddle and GPS watch

grmas1 wrote: Has anyone tried the Globalsat GH-625M? For under $200 is seems too good to be true.
Anyone?

Found a Garmin 310XT for a little over $200 so I guess I wont find out how good this is or isn't

Grant
Ski Paddler Newbie

Latest Forum Topics