Will V12 work for me?

More
11 years 4 months ago #14321 by Makkreutzer
Ok, I know this is a difficult question to answer, but thing is that here in my area, we have dealers selling Epic - and Epic. And that´s about it. I have no problem with that, but I need some advice. I´m new to surfski but used to seakayaking (and endurance sports). A couple of month ago I bought a V8 club and like it for training on my local lake. This is a pretty windblown lake with lots of small choppy waves on it. Even on the worst days the V8 is easy to handle. But here comes the thing:
Next year I will like to shift my triathlon focus on to flatwater surf ski races (marathon distances). For that I need a faster boat and wonder if a V12 (with it´s low weight, great cockpit, good secondary stability and availability) would fit my purpose. I´m 40 years old, in good shape but with low body fat, and a "height" of 174 centimeters (thats about 5"4) my weight is approx 67-69 kgs (150 pounds).

I have the impression that Epic´s are build or at least raced by tall heavy guys, and read that a V12 is wopply for light paddlers. So will it be a misfit for me? In this I assume that I will be able to handle it balance wise, but maybe not?!

Best regards

Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14322 by AR_convert
Given the use you described (marathon flat water) I'd say it would be an ideal ski.

Yes your weight will make it sit higher in the water and hence the secondary stability wont kick in until later than a heavier paddler but it is still there, just a matter of learning to trust that it will kick in.

With your triathlon background your core balance/strength should kick in pretty quickly with time on the water.

If you are feeling a bit too tippy initially just close the anderson bailer and scoop a bucket or two of water into the footwell to add some stability ;)

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by AR_convert.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14324 by Kayaker Greg
Hmmm, must be just me that finds a bucket full of water sloshing around makes the ski more unstable. :blink:

I think you should try one before buying and preferably for a good length of time, if the leg hump is anything like the hump in my V10L and at 5'8" it was too high and strained my hip flexors and if you are tight in the hamstrings from cycling, this could be a problem.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14325 by Makkreutzer
Thank you both, for your advice. I will have the chance to test the V12 on friday, but only in a harbor and for half an hour. Hopefully that gives me some initial impression regarding its "fit".

Cheers

Martin

More
11 years 4 months ago #14328 by AR_convert

Kayaker Greg wrote: Hmmm, must be just me that finds a bucket full of water sloshing around makes the ski more unstable. :blink:

Hadn't considered that, but I would have thought on flat water it shouldn't have too big an effect down low.

Will have to test my own theory.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14330 by mckengmsurfski
Martin,
Just curious, where are you located?
There are a lot of very good options out there for fast flatwater ski paddling if you can get hold of them.
I will say that I have friend who is 5'3" or so who paddles a V12 and loves it. But she does have years of ocean surfski paddling experience under her belt, so stability seems to be a non-issue for her.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14331 by Makkreutzer
I´m living in Denmark, north of Copenhagen. My primary training water is Lake Arresoe, which is Denmarks largest lake.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14332 by mckengmsurfski
Hmmm... Have you been in contact with any of the guys from www.globalsurfski.com out of Sweden? They seem to have a nice group of surfski paddlers with a variety of skis available. I'm not sure how far they are from you, but it might be worth it to get in touch and open up more options for you (if you've not already done so). No matter what you choose in that category there is a big jump from V8 to another ski but I agree with AR, bucket time is all you need for flat water paddling.
At your size and strictly flat water distance use, other skis that come to mind are the Nelo Ocean M or L ski, Think Uno/Uno Max, Carbonology's faster skis (Flash, Atom), V10L, Stellar SES, and Vajda Hawx (I'm biased on that one...).

More
11 years 4 months ago #14333 by Makkreutzer
I haven´t been in touch with them, no. Depending on wether I "can" wait, that might be a solution during the winter. But Stockholm is about 600 km´s away.

Vajda Hawx has my interest and we actually have a potential dealer close to where I live. Problem is that I think it isn´t stock and therefor only available if I order it. The other thing regarding the Hawx is lack of reviews regarding it´s qualities. I can only find a few slightly biased ones on the internet. Do you have experience with it?

More
11 years 4 months ago #14334 by mckengmsurfski
As I said, I am biased regarding the Hawx, and probably what you have read comes from me. The ski has only just been put into production so they are just now becoming available. Once we get some non-'slightly biased' people in them, I will encourage them to post their reviews.

Mark McKenzie
www.eliteoceansports.com

More
11 years 4 months ago #14335 by Makkreutzer
Mark,
it´s ok to be a little biased :-). Based on your knowledge about the Hawx do you think that it would be an interesting ski to try out for a short legged lightweight like me?

Regards

Martin

More
11 years 4 months ago #14336 by mckengmsurfski
Martin,
Weight-wise you would be just fine.

I've not had anyone shorter than around 5'6"- 5'7" in the ski so leg-length/height-wise I am just not sure. What is your inseam?

I will try and get someone in it of a similar inseam and see how they find the fit/feel for you.

Speed and stability-wise you would not be disappointed.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14337 by jean pierre
i paddle a hawx for 2 months now , i can say it is a great boat ; the 2 french champions , junior and senior tried it and immediatly order one , very fast , stable and very comfortable .

More
11 years 4 months ago #14338 by Cell
Replied by Cell on topic Re: Will V12 work for me?

Makkreutzer wrote: I haven´t been in touch with them, no. Depending on wether I "can" wait, that might be a solution during the winter. But Stockholm is about 600 km´s away.

Vajda Hawx has my interest and we actually have a potential dealer close to where I live. Problem is that I think it isn´t stock and therefor only available if I order it. The other thing regarding the Hawx is lack of reviews regarding it´s qualities. I can only find a few slightly biased ones on the internet. Do you have experience with it?

Aterra.se are located in Helsingborg which is the closest you can get to Denmark in Sweden. They have Carbonology sport skis.

Like most people say, try as many you can to get your own opinion about the different skis.

Good luck!

More
11 years 4 months ago #14339 by Makkreutzer
Thank you all for your help!

And Mark, what a great offer! My inseam is just below 30 inches.

Cell, I will check out Aterra. Helsingborg is just a short drive and a long swim away :-). I better take a ferry.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14340 by mckengmsurfski
Martin,
I will update you as soon as I get someone of a similar inseam in the ski.
I agree with Cell, the more boats you can try, the better!

Best,
Mark

More
11 years 4 months ago #14342 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic Re: Will V12 work for me?
The jump from a V8 to a V12 is generally too big. The V8 is a fast recreational ski and the V12 is paddled by World Champions.
I have done the opposite, switching from a V12 Ulta to a V10 Sport Club, I am going as fast if not faster on the Sport, I have been ski paddling for the better part of 35 years, and now for the first time I am 100% confident on doing the basics of paddling in any conditions, ROTATING, if you cannot rotate proprtly in ANY conditions the ski is wrong for you! I dont care who you are.
Happy Paddling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thebigadski

More
11 years 4 months ago #14343 by Kewarra
Replied by Kewarra on topic Re: Will V12 work for me?
Hey guys, don't discount a builder of surfskis in NZ, [ Flow Kayaks] a great lower volume, fast surfski, can do almost everything the better known brands can do.
I have one and very pleased with the construction and makeup and also the follow up attention i received by the designer, not only of the ski but also the paddles they make,
I can recommend his product to all new and intermediate paddlers and no doubt his skis will spread across the paddling fraternity.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14344 by kanukayakar
I think You are toller then 5`4``. if You are going to compete in marathons on small and shallow rivers V 12 is not your best choise. It is too long and unstable .Check some of the Nelo boats. Their hamps are very low,or may be You should try some very light and stable kayaks Nelo, Vayda, Sruer and so on.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14349 by AR_convert
I don't think the last few people posting have read the initial question properly...

Makkreutzer wrote: here in my area, we have dealers selling Epic - and Epic. And that´s about it.

and read what the intended use is...

Makkreutzer wrote: focus on to flatwater surf ski races (marathon distances).

Or what his fitness level is

Makkreutzer wrote: shift my triathlon focus.... I´m 40 years old, in good shape but with low body fat.

I feel qualified to weigh in on this as I started ski paddling from around the same age from a Triathlon background and could easily paddle a V12 in flat water within a few months of learning to paddle. I bought a V10sport because I wanted to do ocean paddling but that is not the case here.

Now if Martin is happy to travel and he has access to other ski's then we can point him to various better suited ski's for smaller paddlers, but for his initial question I think the V12 would be fine.

Latest Forum Topics