2015 ICF Ocean Racing World Champs - in Tahiti

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20208 by [email protected]
I had a heads-up last night that the next ICF Ocean Racing World Championships will be in Tahiti. That's all the information there is: Tahiti, 2015. Apparently there will be an announcement on the ICF website shortly.

While there's some excitement on Facebook about this, some folks are pointing out that it's about the furthest, most expensive to get to venue on the planet.

There's also speculation about whether there will be enough surfskis - and how they'll get skis there.

Also the guys who run the Bora Bora race haven't heard anything about it.

So it seems quite an interesting decision.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20211 by antonsa
Absolutely crazy - the various canoe federations should object to this - it is going to cost paddlers(and the federations) a fortune and for the various manufacturers to ship craft to Tahiti is seriously expensive and they would have to ship the skis back as the market in Tahiti is very small. Why not Australia, USA or South Africa. Surely this decision could not of been supported by these three federations of the ICF. If they do not change it then I suggest that we create a world series championship event out of the races on the current calendar - The Doctor in Perth, San Francisco or one of the South African Events (East London- the home of Fenn- would be a good call). One wonders what consultation took place as it seems to have caught everyone by surprise! Most paddlers would not be able to find Tahiti on the map! It is at 17.40 South 149.25 W - middle of the South Pacific Ocean - population 200 000 land mass 1000 square KM.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20212 by antonsa
APRIL FOOL perhaps!

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20215 by Ranga
2 days early for that, but who knows what calendar they are using!

A rough search the fare is around $3000.00 AUS from Perth to Papeete, but hopefully there should be offers available.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20217 by Hiro
Sooooo, I must be the only one on this forum that is feeling happy about this great news !

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20226 by [email protected]
I think the unhappy ones are just disappointed that they're going to lose out. I would love to go to Tahiti, it looks like an unbelievably beautiful place.

But it's just way too expensive for me - over $3,000 just for the airfare and 48hrs travelling.

In my opinion, it would have been better to have the next race in a more central area to ensure that it is really established.

But I have no doubt that the top, sponsored paddlers will make their way there and hopefully it'll be a wonderful event.

I'm told that neither South Africa nor Australia submitted bids for the event - so we can't complain that we didn't get it, can we?

All the best to the Tahitian federation!

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20227 by [email protected]
And here's the announcement on the Tahitian Federation website:

www.federation-kayak-tahiti.com/

Here's what google translate makes of it:

2nd WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OCEAN RACING PDF Print E-mail
Written by Charles Villierme
Great news for the Tahitian Kayak Federation.

During his last Board of Directors, the International Federation of Kayak (FIC) has voted unanimously to appoint TAHITI honored to host the 2nd WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OCEAN RACING 2015.

Kayakers to your oars, do not let these international future battres us home.

A faatoito anae

Not that it matters, but it wasn't actually a unanimous vote in favour - in fact it went 12/11 against Sardinia.

But hey - good luck to them and the moment I get any other information I'll post it.

Rob

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20229 by oceana
A crazy decision. The World Surfski Championship has just been established, and now they're taking it to the most out of the way destination possible. From a Saffa perspective I can't see more than a handful of people going (outside of the elites) - simply too expensive and ridiculous traveling time. Surely the focus should have been on getting the event properly established and having mass participation as in Porto last year, and once all that is in place then taking it to other locations.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20231 by Metro
With deference, I think that folks are perhaps being too critical here. Yes, we can agree that the second World Champs should have been in Aus or SA. But, as Rob notes, neither Aus or SA put their hand up. So, those two locations are out. If we assume that we are not going back to Europe, then realistically that really only leaves the USA and the South Pacific as viable options. The USA gives a conundrum, because the assumption is that it would be on the West Coast, most probably San Francisco where the US Champs are held. Has anybody paddled the US Champs? It is a bay / harbour course characterized by strange currents and shipping traffic, not downwind. The east coast of Florida would be great - warm water and windy conditions (how about Key West?), but then folks would grumble about the flying time. Also, not sure who on the east coast would organize.

So we look to the South Pacific. Tahiti has a long surfski tradition (more so in my opinion than the USA) and their paddlers have always been willing to travel. Conditions are very good. Also, for Australians, travel to Tahiti is very easy and not expensive. Significanly easier and less expsive than Europe. Sydney to Papeete can be done in 11.5 hours, $1500 return.

I will concede that the big question mark is boats. The manufacturers are going to have to step up and paddlers are going to need to be on it early. Some compromise will most probably be required on boat selection.

I for one am excited about the World Champs being in Tahiti and will be there.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20232 by stuartknaggs
Not much about it on the ICF site... smell fishy.....

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20234 by [email protected]

stuartknaggs wrote: Not much about it on the ICF site... smell fishy.....

It's not a joke - Mario Santos (runs things surfski at ICF) told me via Skype over the weekend (i.e. before 1 April!).

Rob

• paddler4christ
  • Visitor
10 years 2 weeks ago #20235 by paddler4christ
Replied by paddler4christ on topic 2015 ICF Ocean Racing World Champs - in Tahiti
I think we'd all love to go but I for one won't be affording that trip,and it may be difficult to ask a sponsor for 50 thousand bucks to get there

• Rabubiman
  • Visitor
10 years 2 weeks ago #20244 by Rabubiman
Replied by Rabubiman on topic 2015 ICF Ocean Racing World Champs - in Tahiti
Folks, having had the pleasure of racing Mosole's Mara'amu downwinder 2 years ago in Tahiti, and last years ICF World Champs in Portugal, I am extremely keen to head back. Tahiti can be prohibitively expensive for South Africans (travel distance and exchange rate) but for the Aussie and Kiwi paddling communities, it is a wonderful change. Normally its poor Kiwi/Aussie paddlers paying for really expensive long haul travel. The announcement is out on the ICF website, but I think the real challenge here is going to be whether the long-standing organisation behind some of Tahiti's great events (and lets face it folks, world-class downwind paddling conditions) will be engaged to make this a success. We have some real leaders and ambassadors in our sport in Tahiti, people like Sebastian Mosole and world class competitors like Lewis Laughlin. Couple this with our Aussie World Series leaders Dean 'Chops' Gardiner, Clint Robinson and the swathe of up and coming champions. These guys have a vested lifetime of experience in growing the sport. These ambassadors need to be consulted, and engaged with to ensure a successful event. As a sport, this is our hour to stand up and be heard. ICF is a political machine, capable of tremendous event organisation and international exposure (the Portugal World Champs is a classic example) and we need to speak to ICF, show leadership and band together to grow our sport on the world stage. Also, I think that all of us can play a role here. Kiwi paddlers enjoying close (cheap) flights to Tahiti can host overseas paddlers in layovers, help organise boats/accom etc. So lets work together to make this event the success we all want it to be:-)

us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=2cbee736331...aa01b0c#awesomeshare

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20245 by [email protected]
Here are some of the challenges:
  • The poor bloody manufacturers are going to somehow have to make plans to get boats there. It's a tiny market, so they won't be able to sell the skis afterwards, so they'll have to take them away again, now in a second hand condition.
  • It's great that it's so easy for Aussies and NZ'ers to get there, and hey, it's your turn - getting to Portugal was far more difficult and costly for you than for us and the Europeans.
  • For the sport to progress with the ICF, I believe that there has to be representation from a significant number - 15 perhaps - of countries. I'm not sure that there will be top (as opposed to "good paddlers who happen to have the money") paddlers who can afford to get to Tahiti. Maybe that doesn't matter - but it is important for the event to have significant global participation.
I don't think anyone doubts that the Tahitians will put on a great show - it's one of the most beautiful places in the world; the wind is very reliable so there almost certainly will be superb conditions.

But there's no getting away from the fact that for most folks, the 2015 ICF Ocean Racing Champs is going to be out of their reach.

As I said though, this is perhaps the turn of the Aussie/NZ paddlers to have a champs in their back yard (although I've also seen folks from Sydney complaining about $3,000 airfares so "back-yard" might be a stretch).

At the end of the day - the deal is done, the race will be in a spectacular location, and as you say, let's do what we can to help Tahiti make it a success.

Rob

The following user(s) said Thank You: heirangi

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20246 by sundance
Well put Rabubiman. World champs in Tahiti will be amazing - it's costly for everyone to get there but make a holiday of it. It's a one off, I doubt you'll see the race again in Tahiti for a very long time so save and get there. Paradise.

Paddling, good coffee, Sydney and Cape Town.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20254 by Seasurvival
Hmmmmm, Beaut venue... now if they were to have the race in Tahiti within a week or two of the Molokai... it would make a trip to that side of the planet a serious scoop!

;)

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20265 by sundance
Great call, makes sense. I'm in

More
10 years 1 week ago #20330 by SEBASTIEN
Hi everyone!I'm Mosole sébastien,Since 6 years,I'm the organiser of the only international surfski race in Tahiti (bora-bora),Maraamu surfski race. I have read a lot of things about the Ocean racing world champs 2015!There's some wrong ideas about our destination!Prices por example: For aussies,kiwis & north americans rowers it cost not,as a lot of padlers think "an exorbitant rate"!!I have very good deals with differents partners, here (plane tickets,accomodations,etc...).Ask dean Gardiner, clint Robinson garth Spencer,michael Booth or jeremy Cotter, they came severals times & they love come back!! Check my website: maraamu surfski race.com
We have hire ski for you guys (Fenn, Epic, Some nelo..),I'm more interesting about ocean races than the rest, because for me it is, the easier way for us, in the pacific!!Conditions, waves, wind,weather, everything that we love!!
For the Ocean racing champ 2015,i'm not on the organisation & i have enough work with my race! So come guys,tell me if you need more details or something else, but you don't have to miss the Maraamu surfski race 2014!This year the race will take place , september 13th! It's time to train hard & stay focus to Bora-bora destination's!!Iaorana. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: heirangi

More
10 years 1 week ago #20331 by sundance
Midsole, there will be 4 of us coming over for your race this year from Sydney. From what I've heard via Dean, Clint, Daryl Bartho et al, it sounds amazing. Can't wait. Just hope the wind is blowing.
A

The following user(s) said Thank You: SEBASTIEN

More
10 years 1 week ago #20350 by SEBASTIEN
Hi mate join me on my facebook: Mosole sébastien

Latest Forum Topics