20" wide surfski?

More
10 years 1 month ago #19988 by spidennis
Replied by spidennis on topic 20" wide surfski?

uk_exile wrote: 19.29" wide www.flowkayaks.com/site/surf-skis/surf-skis/

It's got the dimensions, but it doesn't have the hatches. .... and who knows what's in there when you start cutting holes....... I heard epic boats have cardboard in them for stiffeners? I'd not want to get that wet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #19989 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic 20" wide surfski?
Cardboard! are you joking? Who told you that rubbish.

If hatches are what you want the EPIC V6 is ideal. Stable and quite quick.

More
10 years 1 month ago #19990 by spidennis
The v6 is too short and fat, not close enough to my 20' x 20" preferred specs, otherwise it would be pretty dang close!

More
10 years 1 month ago #19991 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic 20" wide surfski?
Damn.. Jus wrote a long note about the Stellar s18s and it vanished.

To paraphrase, I was looking for a touring ski and paddled a s18s. Really liked it so I ordered one with custom bulkhead placement gaining a lot of storage space back from standard placement.

On a long endurance race like the Texas water safari I doubt I will be any faster in a 20x20 boat. The s18s is a fast boat for 18' and the extra stability late at night while tired would most likely be an advantage. In short races a 20x20 boat would most likely be faster, but at the pace of a 250 mile race I'm not so sure it would be much of an advantage, at least for me.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
The following user(s) said Thank You: spidennis

More
10 years 1 month ago #19992 by spidennis

Newbflat wrote: Damn.. Jus wrote a long note about the Stellar s18s and it vanished.

To paraphrase, I was looking for a touring ski and paddled a s18s. Really liked it so I ordered one with custom bulkhead placement gaining a lot of storage space back from standard placement.

On a long endurance race like the Texas water safari I doubt I will be any faster in a 20x20 boat. The s18s is a fast boat for 18' and the extra stability late at night while tired would most likely be an advantage. In short races a 20x20 boat would most likely be faster, but at the pace of a 250 mile race I'm not so sure it would be much of an advantage, at least for me.

Bill

Don't you just hate that! and I do appreciate you still making a post ... yup, that added stability in those times when it's dark and twisty and tired, and seeing things .... staying up right would be a very nice thing indeed! I also think the surf ski cockpit will aid in the portages vs a kayak cockpit .

More
10 years 1 month ago #20001 by uk_exile
Replied by uk_exile on topic 20" wide surfski?

spidennis wrote:

uk_exile wrote: 19.29" wide www.flowkayaks.com/site/surf-skis/surf-skis/

It's got the dimensions, but it doesn't have the hatches. .... and who knows what's in there when you start cutting holes....... I heard epic boats have cardboard in them for stiffeners? I'd not want to get that wet.

Flow hand build to order so they could easily add what you want. They tweaked my multisport kayak to what I wanted. And there certainly won't be substandard materials used. They're tough as & I think materials are same as their river kayaks. I suggest you email them.

Latest Forum Topics